Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 18 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 
  • Re: The RICHARD & JUDY Novel Prize
    by Al T at 18:36 on 26 February 2005
    Jane that doesn't sound harsh at all. We've had a few robust debates about criticism on this forum, but I totally agree that getting feedback from trusted readers is essential. As for baddies lurking in cyberspace, I used to be an internet analyst, which may explain my paranoia.

Okay, I'm going to switch my brain off and Meet the Fockers.

Have a good evening,

Adele.
    by old friend at 10:34 on 27 February 2005
    Adele and Jane,

You both make sense; it is a matter of acceptance and caution. People will pinch ideas. Jane, I too, have had a great deal of experience in the publishing field and I agree that this is not something high on the 'worry' list but it does happen and, like cockroaches in a dirty kitchen, you'll never get rid of the problem.

You may also be right when you refer to there being more stealing in Cyberspace but -what the heck - it can be annoying I guess but there is almost nothing that you can do about it. My main aim in writing is not 'being published' and perhaps I would like to think that some of my work may well be good enough to appear under someone else's name. I would be flattered... if I caught them they may well be 'flattened'! They should have asked and they haven't paid!.

A good writer takes risks with his/her words and should take risks with completed works.

I have also known a lady who has written stories for Children for quite a few years but has never overcome the embarrassment she would feel if another pair of eyes fell upon her precious manuscripts. Such a pity.

Len

by Al T at 10:46 on 27 February 2005
    Len, it's good to hear your views. I suppose that the subtext of what you're saying that life is inherent risky (don't I know it!), and unless we and our work are to remain in splendid isolation we have to deal with that. However, the problem with the cockroaches is that so often they are disguised as knights in shining armour (or female equivalent!).

At the moment, I would be delighted to have publishers read my work, so if anyone is interested, please let me know!

Off to put on my full body armour before I step outside into the minefield.

Adele.

<Added>

I meant inherently, but you knew that!
  • This 18 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2