Login   Sign Up 

• Write a new nursery rhyme and win a comp!
    by Anna Reynolds at 10:48 on 01 April 2005
    This should be of interest to childrens' writers, flash fiction writers, parents, etc etc:

Kids' TV channel Nick Jr. is looking for inspiring new rhymes which both kids and adults will love to read for years to come.

'We, at Nick Jr., are encouraging entrants to stretch their imagination to anything and everything from political and current events to family life. And you don’t have to be a professional poet to take part, just take your inspiration from the world around you and join in. Nursery rhymes have been passed on from generation to generation as a way of learning and were just as popular hundreds of years ago as they are today. So get writing and let’s produce new rhymes for our kids.'

The rhymes can be based on anything and everything relating to modern day life, be it fact or fiction. Rhymes should be no longer than 65 words and must be submitted by 13th June 2005. The weblink is http://www.nickjr.co.uk/newrhyme

• Re: Write a new nursery rhyme and win a comp!
    by bjlangley at 11:42 on 01 April 2005
    I watch, I mean, my children watch Nick Jr most mornings!
    by Account Closed at 12:16 on 01 April 2005
    So, what's your...I mean their favorite programme, Ben? (Nick Jr or otherwise?) I love Kipper (but that's due to it being the voice of that man behaving badly, likewise Bob the Builder, although I prefer the album to the vids. My children love Brum and Balamory, and it's a joy to hear the Scottish accents.

Great comp, Anna - thanks!

Elspeth
    by bjlangley at 13:05 on 01 April 2005
    They really like Dora the Explorer. And when the worms sing "wiggle and a giggle" in the mornings. Balamory makes me laugh. Especially PC Plum when he sings and dances...
    by Account Closed at 13:15 on 01 April 2005
    We get Dora in France but in French with the 'foreign' bits in English BUT terrible pronunciation. Frankly, her enthusiasm is too much for me first thing in the morning. PC Plum is something else, I agree.
    by greenfinger at 19:12 on 02 April 2005
    Something on school dinners/Jamie Oliver might be appropriate, lol
    by Account Closed at 11:06 on 10 April 2005
    Often, nursery rhymes had rather sinister backgrounds eg Ring a ring of roses was supposedly about the Bubonic Plague. Humpty Dumpty, about a particular war etc. So what are the current threats to society? Terrorism, global warming and reality TV?

Here is an interesting site: http://www.zelo.com/family/nursery/index.asp