Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Help!
    by bjlangley at 10:06 on 06 April 2005
    Having had a few sketches on the last series of Shoot the Writers I'm giving it a go again this year. The format has changed though, so rather than sending as many sketches as we desire, we can send only 7.

At the moment I have 12 that I'm looking at - which is where you come in! (No, I'm not going to upload the lot and go for it that way) Basically, do you think it would be better to have a broad range of sketches, or should I just go for those I think are strongest?

My own personal view is that it would be better to show a range of different sketches, - some I have are puns/play on words, others more visual (with a gag at the end) there's toilet humour, there's even a juxtapostion/spoof sketch involving a clown.

Anyway, do you think this is the right way to go, or would it better to go for a number of similar types of sketches, much like those featured on the last series?

Any views would be greatly appreciated.
  • Re: Help!
    by shinykate at 22:17 on 06 April 2005
    For what it's worth, I reckon you should go with those you think are strongest. Can see the logic in submitting a variety of sketches, but there's no point in offering work you aren't completely happy with...

... One solution might be to polish up the ones which show a wider range of skills, so you are equally happy with them!

ShinyK
    X
    by Jubbly at 12:17 on 07 April 2005
    Ben send the strongest sketches but make sure they aren't too similar in content or punchline. Best of luck with it and let us know the outcome.

Cheers

Julie
    x
    by bjlangley at 13:08 on 07 April 2005
    Thank you, Kate and Julie.

Two of the sketches that were bothering me do seem too similar. They both involved people attacking inanimate objects (though for very different reasons). One of them had a gag at the end, so that one stayed, and the other went.

I was also troubled that two were set in bed, but they're so different from each other that I don't think it's an issue.

Of course, I wouldn't be me if I didn't have something else to flap about, so now it's the page of one-liners that they're asking for as well as the seven sketches...