Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Costa Short Story Shortlist
    by MartinEx at 11:48 on 29 November 2012
    http://www.costabookawards.com/short-stories/shortlist.aspx

Anyone make the cut?

It's probably unethical to reveal I suppose. A shame really, as I feel the short story writers are prevented from gaining the full benefit of a couple of months of publicity - unlike the book writers.

Have you had a chance to read or listen to any/all finalists yet?

I can't identify any 'big names' by style or content so it'll be fascinating to see who the writers are.

I'm also trying to guess whether the writers are male or female (just to pass the time). Do the sexes of the readers reveal the sexes of the author?

If it's possible to tell by style/content I would go for an all female shortlist.
  • Re: Costa Short Story Shortlist
    by Jem at 16:36 on 29 November 2012
    Oooh, I like the sound of all of those. Will def have a listen. Many thanks for sharing MartinEx!
    by GaiusCoffey at 10:05 on 28 January 2013
    Just listening to "Don't Try This At Home". Brilliant.
    by wordsmithereen at 18:33 on 28 January 2013
    Read a bit of each but none of them made me want to read on. Is this really the best of the entries?
    by MartinEx at 09:52 on 30 January 2013
    Have to agree - not what you could call 'challenging' work. Chuffed I managed to 'almost' get the all female shortlist prediction correct - only one chap.

Shame really - it should be harder than that.

But I think the Costa doesn't have (anymore?) any pretensions to be the 'best' of writing - rather it aims for the broadest appeal/most popular work.

Not that the two categories of best and most popular are necessarily mutually exclusive but it's a very rare piece that manages to combine the two.