Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Magic Oxygen Literary Prize- planting a tree for each entry!
    by Anna Reynolds at 12:48 on 27 November 2014
    The Magic Oxygen Literary Prize closes at the end of the week on Sunday 30th November and they say:

'So far, we have received entries from 24 countries around the world with the top 5 percentages being:-

59% UK
    11% Australia
     7% America
     4% NZ
     3% Ireland

Interestingly, it is almost level pegging on received entries of short stories V poems.

We are very proud to confirm that we are going to plant a tree for every single entry received and we'll even post the GPS coordinates of it to the entrant. 

To the very best of our knowledge, we believe we are the only organisation creating a forest from entries to a competition.

We are also going to build a new schoolhouse at the Kundeni School in Bore, Kenya which will give 300 children a safer and more comfortable place to study and will undoubtedly make a remarkable difference to the children and the local community.

The reason we chose Bore for our reforestation project, is that trees planted along the equator stand the best chance of absorbing the most amount of carbon, ultimately keeping our planet cool; everyone wins.

There are only 4 days left to enter the competition and we've made a short animated update which you might enjoy watching.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk4_ncR2fKQ
    Mag

• Re: Magic Oxygen Literary Prize- planting a tree for each entry!
    by TassieDevil at 14:45 on 28 November 2014
    Thanks for posting this, Anna,
    I've sent off a story and we shall see. It's a worthy cause.
    Alan
    by EmmaD at 10:48 on 01 December 2014
    What I lovely idea! And best of luck to everyone who enters!

I work a lot on hard copy, and always feel a twinge of guilt for the trees, though I try to be economical with paper. I'm not sure I'm prepared to compromise my process, but maybe I should plant a tree for each novel...
    by Catkin at 11:30 on 01 December 2014
    It is a lovely idea, isn't it?

I used to re-use paper by printing drafts on the back of used stuff, and then the printer suddenly stopped accepting pre-used paper and just chewed it up and jammed. I think printers, as well as people, must hit middle-age.
    by Anna Reynolds at 14:03 on 01 December 2014
    Catkin, I do this too with slightly manky paper and my printer has just gone on strike. I try to hardly ever print out anything these days, although I know it's better to edit from hard copy- Emma, do you find that? I remember reading that we spot something like 40% more mistakes etc from paper as opposed to screen...