Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 28 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • Are we allowed to mention Lit Idol, or is it beneath us?
    by Nigel at 18:26 on 09 February 2004
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site, so nice to meet you all etc, etc.

I was just wondering how many here entered the Lit Idol competition? I understand the five people with the Lucky Golden Tickets will be announced soon. In total there were 1466 entries (according to thebookplace.com) with the standard being high, apparently.

Surely with that many entries the selection process is almost random - i.e. just enough time to read the first three words before slinging the manuscript in the bin?

What do you think?

• Re: Are we allowed to mention Lit Idol, or is it beneath us?
    by Dee at 18:36 on 09 February 2004
    Yes! Go for it, Nigel... mention it. Too much u-y-a in the writing world for my liking...

ee.
    by Nigel at 18:56 on 09 February 2004
    Hi Dee

Yes, I admit it! I entered!

If getting up on a stage and showing off my six-pack and dancing like a talentless moron is what it takes to get my book published, then so be it! I'm not proud.

PS I've only just worked out what u-y-a means
    by Dee at 19:18 on 09 February 2004
    That's the way, Nigel. Prostitute yourself if you have to... what's worse? Doing a bum job or writing your way out of it?

ee.

by old friend at 20:08 on 09 February 2004
    Does anyone agree with me in noticing a drop in quality and standards in some of the Forum discussions?

Len
    by Dee at 20:14 on 09 February 2004
    Sorry! Didn't realise there was a standard we had to meet... what is it?

by word`s worth at 20:43 on 09 February 2004
    Nigel,

I entered Lit Idol - not sure why that's something to be embarrassed about though. I think I wrote before in another thread that I thought it was a great idea because it encourages writers (whether they can write or not) to go ahead and try their luck.

I have to admit I found the idea of reading out your work to the judges a little bit odd and daunting. Reading is very personal and intimate in my opinion. How I might portray a character through my speaking voice may not do justice to the character. Just because a writer wrote a good story, doesn't mean that they can act it out to it's best. What about nerves? What if the writer has a speech impediment? We are writers not performers/actors/singers. Will how we read out the story effect the judges decision? Isn't it about the quality of the writing and not about the quality of the writer's reading?

I'm sure that the judges will be taking all of this into consideration (at least I hope they will). I'm not really that optimistic about being shortlisted, but the manner in which this competition will be conducted does still concern me.

Good luck with it Nigel.

Nahed

<Added>

Oh, and welcome to WriteWords etc etc ;)
    by old friend at 21:01 on 09 February 2004
    Dee,
    Standards are self-imposed, in keeping with what we think of ourselves, of others and the medium we are using to express our comments. These are unwritten expressions of respect for each other. It is up to the individual member to 'show' these. It is from ALL that we write that we indicate our personal standards... our stories, poetry, submissions and comments.

Len

Nigel,
    I hope that you do well... do let us know how it goes for you.

Len
    by Jubbly at 21:13 on 09 February 2004
    Hi Nigel and welcome. Yep I entered, what the hell eh?

Jubbly
    by James Anthony at 21:23 on 09 February 2004
    I didn't enter, but don't see a problem in it. AS long as books don't go the way of music and invest heavily in 3-5 year singles project bands (Steps, Take That, Atomic KItten, etc) at the expense of the more longterm prospects (PIXIES, NIRVANA, COOPER TEMPLE CLAUSE, FRANZ FERDINAND, etc)

YOu never know there might be talent out there that this brings out that the circle of submission-rejection doesn't.

I didn't enter, but that's not to do with cynicism (ok, it is. BUt that's just me)
    by word`s worth at 21:26 on 09 February 2004
    Just thought of something now. At £10 an entry and with 1466 entries - they've made a bundle there! Does anyone know if Pop Idol hopefuls had to pay anything to enter? If not, then my question is: Why do writers have to pay - people who've toiled over original pieces of work, when others (Pop Idols) who have no talent to speak of except warbling to cover songs and slaughtering perfectly good classics enter for free and end up living the good life? eh????

I suppose if there were that many entrants then Nigel is right about them glancing through the first paragraph before tossing it aside and on to the next one. Hmm...

I know the shortlisted 5 will be posted on Feb 23 but does anyone know if the shortlisted 5 are notified before then or do they have to wait like everybody else? If so when will they know as there are only 13 days to go...

I just want to stub out the glimmer of foolish hope that I've been shortlisted...
    by Jubbly at 07:54 on 10 February 2004
    Pop Idol is sponsored by advertising and makes loads of money from the phone ins. By contrast Lit Idol has to pay readers for their crits and any other expenses incurred. I'm sure they've made a tidy profit but nothing compared to what's possible in a music idustry with televsion backing.
    by Nigel at 13:25 on 10 February 2004
    Thanks for your replies.

On the balance of probability I'm not hopeful of winning (unless 1465 entries begin with the words: "Jez woz a veterinarian of VietNam he kiled lots of people this is his thrilling storey"), but one never knows without trying.

Several things about the competition unsettle me: firstly, it shows what a stiff level of competition is out there; secondly, it is becoming increasingly obvious that unknown authors have little or no chance of being taken up, and thus their only realistic route to publishing glory is via a competition such as Lit Idol. I can see why this suits the publishers, because it gives their publicity machine something to chew on, rather than having to start with nothing. Perhaps the future writing world will be populated solely by celebrities (A-list to Z-list) and the winners of high-profile competitions (I believe the Lit Idol is to be a yearly event).

Sorry, that all sounded rather negative there - I don't mean to dissuade anyone from writing!

Good luck to everyone else who entered, and let's hope that the winner deserves it.
    by Friday at 15:07 on 10 February 2004
    Lit Idol is a good idea, looking forward to see who wins, chances are it will be a ‘Literary’ introspective number, but you never know.

Pop Idol is not about music, it’s about fame. I wonder what Lit Idol is really about, the fact you have to read your book in front of the judges tells me that ‘image’ is going to play a part.

Good luck to all.

Dawn,

by hibernian at 16:56 on 10 February 2004
    hee hee - Jez the VietNam veterinarian... love it!
  • This 28 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >