Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 28 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 > >  
  • Re: Are we allowed to mention Lit Idol, or is it beneath us?
    by anisoara at 18:05 on 10 February 2004
    Hi Nigel --

I would have entered the competition too if I had known about it in time!!! It sound like fun, and hey, you never can tell, can you?

Good luck.

I guess I should be more alert round about this time next year?????

Anisoara
    by Nigel at 18:43 on 10 February 2004
    Hi Anisoara,

Bear in mind that the competition judges base their decision on just the synopsis and the opening 10,000 words - they do not require you to supply a full novel! This means that anyone wishing to win had better put all their effort into these first 10,000 words and only need to worry about the other 90,000 if they should win.

I personally think it would have been more sensible to limit the competition to those with complete manuscripts only, otherwise it could end up as a short-story competition. :-)

Nigel
    by word`s worth at 19:23 on 10 February 2004
    I took it as read that only those with full mss should enter their work...

Hmmm...another interesting obstacle the judges may face then...

What if they also meant that only those with complete mss should enter, but didn't make it clear in the competition rules? What if a number of the shortlisted 5 don't adhere to the rules which Lit Idol wasn't clear about...

The plot thickens...

by Al T at 20:49 on 10 February 2004
    People change, but just a word on the competition's organiser, Ali Gunn, the 'Simon Cowell' of Lit Idol, and what she might be looking for. About six years ago I sent a MS to Ali's agency. Ali called me the next day thanking me for my 'marvellous novel' and asking to see me. So far, so good, I thought. However, when we met it transpired that she hadn't actually read the MS (although, given the impressive speed of her reply, I would have been surprised if she had). She was though very interested in how many famous people I knew, and whether I'd ever had my picture in Tatler magazine. A few weeks later she wrote to say that my book wasn't quite what she was looking for (fluffy chicklit, I think). The whole experience put me off writing completely and I've only just started again. But no, even though she's done a fabulous job of making money for Paul Burrell, I won't be sending my new MS to her...
    by word`s worth at 21:40 on 10 February 2004
    Hi Al

I don't think I would ever be put off writing - maybe submitting my work, but definitely not writing. Glad you came back to it .

I'm a little confused though...does this Ali Gunn person make a habit of calling everyone who submits an ms and meets them to see who many famous people they know? Were you known to her? Are you 'famous' in your own right? I'm not asking these questions directly of you - you certainly don't need to answer them. I'm simply wishing a clarification of why an agent (who assume would be quite busy) would go out of her way to meet you just for that reason. How very odd.

Well I know famous people...although not in the western world...does that count?

Nahed

<Added>

pardon my typos and omissions - but you get the idea ..
    by Jubbly at 21:48 on 10 February 2004
    Oh my God Alt, I had an uncannily similar experience, however I've entered under a different name.
    by Al T at 22:09 on 10 February 2004
    Nahed, what my experience taught me is that agents see both books and authors as consumer products, and disposable ones at that. It is a very competitive field, and if an author either already has a public profile, or could easily gain one due to good looks, famous friends etc, then it is easier to sell their work. However, my view is that good marketing will sell a product once, but if the product is no good, the consumer won't come back for seconds.

Jubbly, best of luck this time round. At least you know what to expect...
    by word`s worth at 23:29 on 10 February 2004
    Al,

I can see where you're coming from about how the marketability of the author him/herself can help things along i.e. pleasant on the eye and ear (interviews) but I'd like to think that society/the consumers hasn't become so shallow as to make that a serious factor in what makes a successful or good writer.

I know some books have photographs of the authors on the inside sleeve, and yes, it's usually the authors that have pleasant faces who do allow their photographs to be shown. However, saying that, all the books I have read which I have thoroughly enjoyed - I've no idea what the writer looks like.

Just in case though, I'll be calling my plastic surgeon first thing in the morning.

Nahed
    by Al T at 12:51 on 11 February 2004
    Even Martin Amis got his teeth fixed - that's showbiz for you!
    by word`s worth at 13:13 on 11 February 2004
    I have to confess that I don't think having your teeth fixed is such a big deal, especially if they're noticeably crooked.

I think a person's smile is very important and that's why I've had mercury fillings from when I was younger removed to make way for white fillings. I don't know if that makes me a vain person...perhaps I am but I can honestly say that I did it for my own comfort rather than other peoples. Maybe Martin Amis felt the same way?

I wonder, would people have raised any eyebrows or even commented on this if he hadn't left his long-time agent for an American agent. Maybe they think he's become too Hollywood for a British writer?

Nahed
    by anisoara at 13:41 on 11 February 2004
    Nigel --

That gives me about a year to complete a manuscript! Until now I've only ever had the stamina for short stories!!! But I have ideas, ideas, ideas.... Ha ha ha. I suppose if I ever finish a full-length work, I'll be able to tell myself, "I did it!", then just read for the rest of my life!!!!! After entering the 2005 Lit Idol competition. That is, if there is one.
    by Friday at 14:10 on 11 February 2004
    Wouldn’t it be sad if a 'potential' good story didn’t win because the writer looked...well…you know, unattractive.

Dawn,

- Lit Idol you win an agent (A Gunn), not a publishing deal is that right?
    by word`s worth at 14:40 on 11 February 2004
    Yes Dawn, you get to be represented by Curtis Brown. No guarantee of getting published though, I suppose. But one step at a time. That's what I keep telling myself!
  • This 28 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 > >