Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• On Beauty / Inheritance of Loss?
    by MF at 19:54 on 14 December 2006
    Am reading these simultaneously, and would be interested to know what others thought.

Am currently undecided about the unfolding romance between Sai and Gyan in IoL (don't know why, but it jars; seems unrealistic)...and would be intrigued to know how Zadie Smith gets away with (apparently) so little obvious 'plot' to engage the reader from the word go. While her writing is definitely character-driven, and much of it very good indeed, I'm about a third of the way in and beginning to wish she'd up the stakes a bit.

Has anyone picked up on discernable similarities between these two contemporary and highly successful novels by young, female authors? What's the secret to their success, in your opinion?
  • Re: On Beauty / Inheritance of Loss?
    by Account Closed at 20:30 on 14 December 2006
    Actually, I'd be no help here, as I couldn't stand either book! Sorry!

)

A
    xxx
    by MF at 21:21 on 14 December 2006
    What was it that you didn't like, Holly? I suppose posting in "Favourite Writing" is somewhat misleading, as I don't expect either one will qualify as one my of favourites - am feeling rather lukewarm about them both right now, and more intrigued as to what made them so successful...
    by Account Closed at 06:58 on 15 December 2006
    I think to be honest I found both of them rather dull and convoluted, MF, and the characters didn't make me want to stay around. So I have to admit that I didn't actually finish the books - so it may be that the middle & ends are stonkingly good - you never know!

)

A
    xxx
    by MF at 08:22 on 15 December 2006
    Holly, I pride myself on *always* finishing a novel, no matter how little I'm enjoying it - but "White Teeth" was a major exception! Exactly as you say, it felt convoluted and contrived, and the characters - tho technically "well-drawn", whatever that means - just didn't resonnate. What is it with Zadie Smith??
    by Account Closed at 10:17 on 15 December 2006
    And, to add more confusion, I really enjoyed "White Teeth" - weird, eh?!!

==:O

A
    xxx
    by Sappholit at 15:11 on 16 December 2006
    What is it with Zadie Smith??

Isn't that the million-dollar question? I have no idea, either.

But she is beautiful, and comes across very well whenever I've heard her interviewed. But I haven't got along with any of her books. At all. The Autograph Man . . . . well!

<Added>

MF, how do you manage to read two books at once?
    by Account Closed at 09:46 on 18 December 2006
    Haven't read The Inheritance of Loss (someone really should've changed that title), but I thought On Beauty was a great, fun read. Her character's do have a cartoonish edge to them which detracts a bit from fully identifying with their emotional states, but, boy, she has a brilliant facility for language and rhythm, and a perfect ear. And she has a fondness for the sound of her own voice which leads to rambling sometimes, but, with a voice like hers...

Though I still think The Autograph Man is her best book to date.
    by MF at 15:11 on 18 December 2006
    Sappho, it's a habit that I just can't seem to kick! Ideally I try to limit myself to one book at a time, but inevitably what happens is that I'll be reading something for "pleasure" and then won't be able to resist when a "research" book pops up out of the blue (in this case, I was reading IofL for "research" because I'm preparing a novel that's partly set in India, then received On Beauty as an early Xmas present...and curiosity got the better of me! Oh yes, and meanwhile there's still that biography of Lee Miller on the back burner...gaa!)

"Inheritance of Loss" is indeed an utterly naff title. I'm halfway through the book and still can't quite figure out how it relates to anything.

Sammy, you're so right that ZS likes the sound of her own voice - and yes, there is a rhythm to it and a talent for social observation that is quite admirable. Her wry humour even makes me smile now and then. But I can't help feeling (in part because I can empathise!) that she's a very self-onscious writer, someone who's young and ambitious and hungry to prove herself as an artist - and sometimes she goes too far. Haven't attempted the Autograph Man, but shall add it to my list...somewhere about halfway down, I think.
    by CarolineSG at 12:42 on 19 December 2006
    I haven't read IOL but finished On Beauty just last week and I really loved it. I sort of enjoyed White Teeth, but never really engaged on any emotional level with it and didn't even bother with Autograph Man. I walked past OB a million times in the bookshop, then picked it up one day on a 3 for 2, not feeling very enthusiastic, but was so pleasantly surprised. I loved her characters and I think she is a wise soul for one so young. I found her observations to be spot on and surprisingly mature. It made me laugh several times and some scenes (like the one with Levi at the record store, where is 'found out' by his boss)were, for me, just brilliant and thought-provoking.
    My one absolutely miniscule gripe (and it really is a daft one!) was that I was never convinced the name 'Zora' would have a nickname of 'Zoor'.
    Funny how much people can differ on a book, isn't it? Always fascinates me!
    by MF at 13:08 on 19 December 2006
    My one absolutely miniscule gripe (and it really is a daft one!) was that I was never convinced the name 'Zora' would have a nickname of 'Zoor'.

And this is one of the things that I actually "got"! Imagine Zora being pronounced with an American accent, kinda drawly...and Zoor makes perfect sense

(Or perhaps Zaaura?)

by CarolineSG at 16:29 on 19 December 2006
    Ah, I suppose so...more like 'Zor'.
    Not that I'm one to nit-pick
    by Account Closed at 10:10 on 20 December 2006
    And it's so funny, too. I loved the image of the heavy-set Zora crossing the road with handsome Carl and Zadie says something like, 'Zora looked around her in a self-conscious way, assuring the passersby that she too had absolutely no idea what he could want with her'.

That's funny (and sad). Laughter in the dark.