Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Perfume - Patrick Suskind
    by Account Closed at 13:27 on 20 December 2006
    Just about finished this fabulous novel, and I must say i've found it absolutely spellbinding. The prose is exceptional, really rich and vividly imagined, with a glimpse inside the world of scent which I doubt that most people would have even thought about.

The story is set in 18thC France, and is told in a haunting fairytale style, twhich adds to the general sinister quality of the tale. The MC Grenouille is suitably horrible, his self-belief as well realised as it is terrifying.

I'm looking forward to the movie, out very soon, but I highly recommend this novel. It's brilliant.

JB
  • Re: Perfume - Patrick Suskind
    by charlottetheduck at 14:42 on 20 December 2006
    My psycho ex-boyfriend used to read me extracts from this book in bed after we'd, ahem, finished. He was obsessed with it. At the time I naively thought he was a bit eccentric. Now I know he was, in fact, a psycho.

I found it really frightening and unpleasant, which is testament to the author's skill. It stayed with me for a long time afterwards. Not sure whether I'd be able to stomach the film
    by Account Closed at 18:19 on 20 December 2006
    The book is wonderful, all his books are, but I don't know if they're all translated yet. I was fortunate enough to read them when I lived in Austria and perfume/das Parfum, was the first book in German I ever finished!

by tinyclanger at 19:37 on 20 December 2006
    Yup, I can only echo the sentiments here. A mind blowing read, rich and sensual and evocative. I read it ages ago and still feel transported when anyone mentions it.
    Here's hoping the film does it justice in some way.
    x
    tc
    by Account Closed at 16:05 on 21 December 2006
    Yes, well, the film looks ok, despite receiving some bad reviews. I'm not too sure how this novel will work as a movie, because a lot of the narrative is cerebral and takes place in Grenouille's imagination or senses.

I was also rather surprised to see the actor who is playing Grenouille. The novel gave me the impression that he wasn't half as good looking, was of stunted growth and had a hunchback. The Grenouille in the movie is a bit too tasty, I think.

JB

by Account Closed at 14:36 on 03 January 2007
    Ok finished it, and was suitably impressed. A dark little fantasy overall, disturbing and vivid, though the film doesn't seem to be doing so well.

JB
    by optimist at 15:03 on 03 January 2007
    I have to read this - am currently trying to persuade Cineworld to show the film in Hull but all is not lost as the Odeon is. Yippee!

Sarah
    by Account Closed at 20:45 on 03 January 2007
    I'd definitely read the book first Sarah, just going on reports I've heard of the film.

JB
    by optimist at 17:48 on 04 January 2007
    Yes that's what I thought.

Sarah
    by VGw at 18:35 on 02 February 2007
    Yes loved it! I did my graduation work for "creative writing and expression" on it in high school. Still one of my highs, since I was the only one out of a whole school of students to get a top grade :blush:

Loved the book ever since ;-)