Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• China Mieville
    by Account Closed at 21:22 on 12 February 2007
    I absolutely adore this writer. He is my greatest discovery of last year. Halfway through Perdido Street Station and I thought - phew! this dude can write!

On to The Scar, and a voyage across oceans in a city made of boats toward a crack in the space/time continuum. A novel which left me breathless with wonder.

Iron Council , where an army of refuges build a ceaseless train track across a giant continent, a continent stained by the fallout of an ancient magical war.

King Rat, Meiville's debut novel, retells an archaic myth in urban London, set to the soundtrack of drum and bass. Exceptional and thrilling.

I'm currently halfway through Looking for Jake, quite simply one of the best collections of short stories I have ever read in the dark fantasy/horror genre. Whether Mieville (pronouced Mee-ville) is writing about his techno-magical world of Bas Lag, anti-superheros in the sewers of London, or feral city streets at war with each other, he never loses the ability to amaze and disturb.

I can't wait for new novel UnLunDun to hit the shops, and can't recommend this writer enough.

JB

• Re: China Mieville
    by optimist at 22:15 on 12 February 2007
    I agree with all of the above.

I love the style and energy and scope of his writing and the sheer confidence and verve - also his ability to suddenly and unexpectedly twist the plot and the fate of his characters so the reader is left breathless.

The invention, detail and sheer excitement of his novels is hard to beat and while 'The Scar' is probably my favourite I love his debut novel, 'King Rat' which has a certain raw quality and flair that I find very beguiling.

Rave over!

Sarah
    by Account Closed at 23:00 on 12 February 2007
    Yeah, I think The Scar is my favourite too, Sarah. I was really 'there' with that novel, though I think the short story collection will compete for first place.

JB
    by optimist at 09:07 on 13 February 2007
    Yes, looking forward to Looking for Jake

Sarah
    by Account Closed at 15:47 on 13 February 2007
    Hey, there are rumours of a new Bas Lag novel, and early reports indicate it may even feature Bellis Coldwine. Its working title is Kraken. Of course, Simon Kavanagh will be typically tight lipped about it, but I may still ask!

JB