Login   Sign Up 

This 67 message thread spans 5 pages:  < <   1  2  3   4   5  > >  
  • Re: Reading makes you sexier- it`s official
    by Silverelli at 19:11 on 19 April 2004
    Women were flocking to Ted Bundy. Are you kidding me?

<Added>

or Maybe I'm thinking of Al Bundy(High School Football Star)/shoe salesman
    by geoffmorris at 19:12 on 19 April 2004
    Maybe it's just something you absorb from books. I love reading but can never be bothered to carry a book around with me, and yet I get quite a bit of attention.

Though having said that I get a lot of gay men chatting me up too. Maybe it's the stuff I read

Geoff
    by mothball at 19:39 on 19 April 2004
    Women loved Ted Bundy. One woman even married him while he was in prison waiting to be executed. But women who intentionally like nutcases tend to be nutcases themselves - so...

However, he still would not make a great date - what with the insane rage, compulsive fibbing, tendency to bludgeon young women to death, and don't forget the sodomizing of week old corpses. Not very yummy traits.
    by Daisy at 19:54 on 19 April 2004
    I don't know about men being sexier if they read - but I was seeing a guy for a while who admitted the reason he asked me out was because he saw me reading a lot and thought that I was intelligent .... not sure that it equates ...

The good news is though, through that man I met the father of my kids...
    by Anna Reynolds at 20:13 on 19 April 2004
    Hmm, so what books in particular would put you off, if the object of your desire was reading them? are men(or women indeed) going to have to be smart and start trying to second guess women's reading likes and dislikes? What about men reading intelligent women's lit fiction as opposed to, say, Andy McNab? doesn't what you read- and what you choose to display proudly in public- say quite a lot about you? are books the new designer labels?
    by Silverelli at 20:19 on 19 April 2004
    true true, mothball.
    Its weird, isn't it? Some kind of nutty psychology behind it. i.e. Clarise Starling(sp?) infatuation with Hannibal Lector. Clarise was not nutty, was she? Yet she wanted to have a relationship with this Brilliant, Handsome guy who was also a great cook(best brains parmesian this side of the Mississippi), but come on the guy was out of his mind. Wake up Clarise. Although this is fiction, so I guess I can't really use this as a good example, and I'm basing this on the movies, never read the books.

Sorry to get off tangent-this is whole other thread.
    by geoffmorris at 20:20 on 19 April 2004
    Mothball,

I hope you're not saying that I'm anything like Bundy! Hell I'm no axe murderer. The pills see to that!

And anyway I'm more of an ice pick poisoning kind of guy. A totally different, dare I say more sophisticated kind of ladykiller.

Crazy ol Geoff
    by mothball at 20:27 on 19 April 2004
    Geoff, honey,

Put down the ice pick and step away from the computer.

....methinks it's time for another dose.
    ...don't struggle or we'll have to restrain you.
    by mothball at 20:32 on 19 April 2004
    Silver,

I preferred Jodie Foster's Clarice to Julianne Moore's. Apparently Foster wouldn't do the sequel because she thought that Clarice would never fall for Lector.

Clarice #1 wanted to solve the Buffalo Bill murders, that was why she connected with Lector. She admired his brilliance, but she was conflicted by this, I think. There was a weird chemistry between them, but I don't think it was sexual. It was more a teacher/ student kind of thing, but very different to the relationship she had with her boss/ instructor at the FBI.

..time for a nice Chianti..
    (cue the slurping)
    by geoffmorris at 20:45 on 19 April 2004
    Oh so you know how I like it!
    by mothball at 20:48 on 19 April 2004
    you are a bad, bad man.
    by geoffmorris at 20:58 on 19 April 2004
    Don't you just know it!

Man I hate those pesky hidden profiles, you never can tell who you're flirting with!

Geoff
    by halfwayharry at 22:14 on 19 April 2004
    Sorry to sidetrack but Silverelli mentioned Al Bundy of the 1980's American Sitcom 'Married with Children'. I was a huge fan. When I had cable I watched it every night causing my partner of the time to caustically mention theories of men being slightly autistic.

Anyway, what I found really interesting was that I was always suspcicious that the sitcom was written by British writers who if memory (God I'm sad) serves me correctly were caled 'Leavit and Move'. Consider the facts.

a) Only two writers. This is unusual in US sitcoms who usually employ teams.

b)Al Bundy's wife Peggy's maiden name was Wanker and her arch rival's name was Bender. (Please forgive me if you are offended by these terms.)

c) The show was unlike most US comedies. It was dry, ironic and dealt with failure (very British).

Please let me know your thoughts or alternatively completely ignore this sad, square eyed almost middle aged man.
    by Silverelli at 22:40 on 19 April 2004
    No Waayyy! Fox hired British writers? The humor seemed so un-british like. But I'm basing this on what little exposure I've had to Monty Python and those two lovelies from Ab-Fab.
    Remember the dog? I forget his name, its killing me now.
    Great Show. They should've hired the same two writers for the copycat show called "Unhappily Ever After" which failed miserably. I don't think Fox launched the pilot to that one though.

by geoffmorris at 22:56 on 19 April 2004
    Ahem,

This thread is all about reading makes you sexy! Not the place for some pseudo-intellectual foray into sitcoms and serial killers!

Geoff
  • This 67 message thread spans 5 pages:  < <   1  2  3   4   5  > >