Login   Sign Up 

This 67 message thread spans 5 pages:  < <   1   2   3  4  5  > >  
  • Re: Reading makes you sexier- it`s official
    by olebut at 17:50 on 20 April 2004
    oddly enough ref use of libraries in Gloucestershire libraray use has increased to the point that the libraries in this part of Gods Wonderful County have started opening all day on a saturday again.

As for reading books making you sexier and more attractive to women I went out today with a book under my arm but clearly on display and have had 5 proposals of marriage and been propositioned by at least 6 other women

by the way does a cheque book count
    by roger at 17:54 on 20 April 2004
    That happens to me without the book, Oli. Well I can dream, can't I?
    by Al T at 17:56 on 20 April 2004
    Crowspark, if fewer people are using libraries, then I'm sure that is because buying books has never been cheaper, and so many public libraries are dirty, tatty, under-funded places. When I was a child, in a house with few books, I was an avid reader and library user. But now, even in the centre of London, the nearest library in my borough is a couple of miles away (compared to just one click on Amazon)and is a fairly unsalubrious place.

I suspect this is a vicious circle where low funding is linked to low usage, and am not sure what the solution is. Does anyone out there know how to solve this? Or perhaps this is a subject for a separate thread.

Adele
    by olebut at 18:07 on 20 April 2004
    Adele

that is sad whilst the libraries here are mainly those awful soulless 60's style buildings every effort has been made by the staff to make the interiors welcoming and good places to visit with loads of events to encourage library usage they have excellant computer access and within the constraints of budgets a good selection and turnover of boooks CDs and DVDs
    by Al T at 18:08 on 20 April 2004
    Perhaps I should move to Gloucestershire...
  • Re: Reading makes you sexier- it`s official/Roger
    by Shadowgirl at 18:09 on 20 April 2004
    But all you've ever had to do is stand there, Rog. I'm exhausted thinking of how many I've had to fight off to retain my Top Dog spot.

S xxxx
    by Account Closed at 18:57 on 20 April 2004
    Hmmm, never been out with a serial killer (that I know of), and I admit to having spouted my own poetry on several occasions.

Last night at my monthly literary club, I even got an applause. I'm no geek, and you could dress me in sackcloth and coal and I'd still be a hottie. Sigh. I guess we can't all be literary geniuses and an adonis...

by Skeetr at 19:07 on 20 April 2004
    Well mock, laugh or be wistful, but reading not only makes men sexier, it makes them marriage-material.

My first sight of the man I eventually married was of him on a beach, tanned, great legs, wet hair, sun glasses, dazzlingly devilish grin, easy engaging manner -- basically, he just had to be dumb as a doorpost. And there he was with the nerve to have a book on his lap (right way up!), trying to tempt a sutably nerdy gal like me from the straight and narrow path to the British Library. Bastard -- so I asked him questions about the book and the author. Picture moi -- my own devilish grin behind my pseudo-indulgent smile, just waiting for him to mispronounce Ian "Mack-ee-wohn" Kenobe, or say something about how Shakespeare should write a sequel.

Not only did he know about that book, but all the ones by that author, and other books to boot. I nearly died of shock when he told me he wrote as well (and had even placed in a writing competition once).

Making this short story shorter -- snagged him, hogged tied him, manacled legs with ball-and-chain and now I get to watch my stud muffin read books each night before I slip off into my dreams.

Yours truly,

The Blessed One
    by mothball at 19:27 on 20 April 2004
    Skeetr,

Hog-tied??? Ooo-eeer, missus!
    Some people (or so I've heard) pay good money for that.
    by Al T at 19:50 on 20 April 2004
    Smith, Blessed One, just one word: wow!

I've always found American women pretty scary, but at least they know how to get what they want!

Adele.
    by olebut at 20:08 on 20 April 2004
    Adele

and if you did you would be living in the most beautiful county in the country and if you moved to The Royal Forest of Dean the most beautiful part of that county.
    by Al T at 20:17 on 20 April 2004
    Olebut, I like your patriotism, but coming from God's Own county, Yorkshire, I also have mine! I don't know anywhere more beautiful in this country than Bolton Abbey. That said, I love mountains, and in my future life as a best-selling author (well I can dream, can't I?) I'd like to spend at least part of the year in the Alps, and also some time on an unspoilt stretch of Mediterranan coast. Hmm, I'd better get working hard again!

Adele.
    by olebut at 21:48 on 20 April 2004
    Adele

I am sorry to disagree with you but I see you suffer from that complaint of all yorkshiremen and women

'an ability to exaggerate '

but we would still welcome you even if you could not understand a word the foresters were saying

by Al T at 22:30 on 20 April 2004
    Most gracious of you, Sir! If I ever make it further west along the M4 than Heathrow, I'll be sure to let you know. Goodnight.
    by Account Closed at 12:58 on 21 April 2004
    Skeet, that's a lovely little romantic tale. I'm not sure how I'd feel if I was watching him read every night...but I'm sure that isn't the case

Oh, and is Shakespeare really going to write a sequel? I loved his last film.

J x
  • This 67 message thread spans 5 pages:  < <   1   2   3  4  5  > >