Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Larry McMurtry fans
    by Gillian75 at 12:06 on 04 April 2007
    I have searched high and low for fellow Larry McMurtry fans - he is my favourite novelist of all time, although I do not base my style on him.
    Just wondered if there are any fellow fans hovering (especially women!) I usually find that most of his readers are men.
  • Re: Larry McMurtry fans
    by Anna Reynolds at 19:38 on 04 April 2007
    His biog is amazing- I've seen loads of movies he's written, but I don't think have read the novels- what would you recommend?
    by Gillian75 at 10:14 on 05 April 2007
    Everyone has their own favourites - my personal fav is Duane's Depressed. I always rave about that particular one.
    Loop Group is also fantastic.
    Other readers, especially males, like the more 'western ones' like Boone's Lick.
    He is most famous for The Last Picture Show.
    by ashlinn at 11:05 on 05 April 2007
    I remember reading an interview with him a couple of years ago and he said that he doesn't believe in rewriting. Apparantly all his novels are first drafts exactly as he wrote them. He claims rewriting removes the sponteneity. I thought it was interesting.

<Added>

sorry, Gillian, I posted before I'd finished. I wanted to ask if you found that his writing reflects that first draft/spontaneous approach.
    by Gillian75 at 15:30 on 05 April 2007
    I find his writing to be spontaneous and it does flow well really well. He has a really engaging style. As well as being incredibly talented, I find him quite a fascinating character too. He owns a bookshop in Archer City, texas, so I reckon I'll have to go there someday.
    by Heckyspice at 10:19 on 15 May 2007
    I LOVE LONESOME DOVE and DEAD MANS WALK

I need to read at some point the 3rd Gus McCrae and Woodrow Call novel. Superb novels, thrilling, heartwrenching and wonderfully human.

BTW, the physical descriptions of McCrae and Call makes one think why the roles for Robert Duvall and Tommy lee Jones were not reversed - but having said that both actors fulfilled the potnetial of their characters.

Ps. I agree that Duane's Depressed is a good read also.