Login   Sign Up 

• Brilliant book...
    by Ava at 01:01 on 10 July 2007
    Oh my God!!! Has anyone ever read "Shantaram" by Gregory David Roberts? If there was ever a book meant to inspire, its this one! Its not often I get this excited about a book

Sarah
  • Re: Brilliant book...
    by Account Closed at 07:45 on 10 July 2007
    Ooh, what's it about, Sarah!!? Tell all!!!

)

A
    xxx
    by Jess at 09:46 on 10 July 2007
    I have. I thought it was very impressive as well, although it could have lost a few hundred pages without any trouble.
    by Ava at 21:52 on 10 July 2007
    Its about an Australian fugitive who escapes to India (or Bombay to be exact) and he basically evolves as a human being by (ironically) doing a lot of illegal things like joining the mafia working as a money launderer, forger and street soldier. He was originally jailed because he was a heroin addict and an armed robber. But during his time in India he learned Hindi and Marathi, established a free health clinic and acted in Bollywood, then he fought with the Mujahedeen in Afghanistan...and still found time to fall in love. That's the synopsis at the back of the book so I havent revealed anything crucial! Its a true story and the prose is unbelieveable! But I agree with Jess, sometimes I felt like Roberts just wrote those 100s of pages of description purely because he knew he was brilliant at it.

Sarah
    by Steerpike`s sister at 20:45 on 23 July 2007
    People keep mentioning this, it sounds right up my street. Must check it out.