Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• I know there has already been a thread on The Road by Cormac McCarthy...
    by CarolineSG at 10:19 on 08 November 2007
    Where has it gone! I've been looking for it.

I finished this fabulous book last night and I can honestly say that it was one of the most powerful novels I have ever read. For anyone who hasn't come across it, it is set in a post-apocalyptic future America (the precise nature of the apocalypse isn't made clear, but everything is burned and destroyed. Some have said it is about future consequences of global warming)and is the story of an unnamed man and his son travelling from place to place, just trying to stay alive. There is no food and they are in constant danger from other desperate souls and bandits on the road. They witness terrible atrocities along the way. It isn't only a battle for survival but a struggle to retain some humanity in the face of such horror. The little boy is like a manifestation of the father's conscience and some of the most heart-rending moments come through their interactions with each other.
    Horrifying, gripping, beautiful and ultimately redemptive, this was a very deserving winner of the Pullitzer Prize.
  • Re: I know there has already been a thread on The Road by Cormac McCarthy...
    by ashlinn at 12:00 on 08 November 2007
    I'm sure this book is wonderful but I've been avoiding it. I already lose enough sleep about the future of our world without sending myself into total depression. George Monbiot wrote a review of it here: http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2007/10/30/the-road-well-travelled/
    by nessiec at 12:06 on 08 November 2007
    Seriously, it's worth a missed night of sleep (and I should know: see thread on 'Insomnia'!)
    I agree - one of the most powerful novels I've ever read. The imagery did stay with me for quite a while and I can summon it up now. The sheer hopelessness of the situation and the arrival of the boy and his father at the great shifting grey sea where no hope lies either, takes your breath away.
    by ashlinn at 12:25 on 08 November 2007
    I know, Nessie, but I'm struggling to hold on to what little hope I have left and I've lost a lot more than one night's sleep over the future of our planet. I might read it later when I feel there's some light at the end of the tunnel.
    by CarolineSG at 12:30 on 08 November 2007
    Thanks for replying, both.

But I did find the ending suprisingly redemptive. Wouldn't want to give anything away as such, but it wasn't quite what I was expecting. Not as grim as I feared.
    by eve at 13:32 on 08 November 2007
    Oh gosh I've tried to get through this book so often. The last time I managed to get as far as page 75 before I had to hurl it against the wall.

It was just so bleak and depressing and repetitious. And I hate not knowing people's names - and all I can think as I'm reading is 'stop calling him the boy!'

I'm sure I'll probably try and get further sometime but the 'to be read' pile is getting higher and higher and it get's bumped to the bottom every time.
    by CarolineSG at 13:34 on 08 November 2007
    I wasn't sure about it, Eve, during the first little bit. But then it just pulled me in by the throat.

But I think life is too short to read things you're not enjoying. Give up and find something you like better, I say!
    by eve at 13:37 on 08 November 2007
    But I feel very guilty about it Caroline, and I'm sure I'm probably not giving it a chance - hence the numerous attempts at it.

So many people love it and it's a prize winning novel and I think 'you have to be wrong, you're just not getting it' and then it bugs the shit out of me and gets chucked!

Oh I'll read it one day, even if I have to staple it across this computer screen!
    by CarolineSG at 13:43 on 08 November 2007
    Must admit there have been plenty of books everyone's gone on and on about that I haven't liked....I think there was a thread about this a while ago. One for me (I have to say this in a whisper because I'm scared someone will beat me up) was Phillip Pullman's Dark Materials books

I said that really quietly, so hopefully no-one will biff me.

And not a book, but Citizen Kane's another. Pile of old pants. (runs really fast for the hills)
    by eve at 13:52 on 08 November 2007
    Oh me too! Struggled through the first Dark Materials - had to start it three or four times and really had to force myself to keep reading. I bought the boxed set but haven't bothered with the other two.

Oh dear, I really feel I shouldn't say these things but somehow it feels cathartic. Like shouting 'Pants' in an art gallery!
    by nessiec at 15:32 on 08 November 2007
    I gave up on His Dark Materials too, Eve. But with The Road it was different. The sheer power of the writing pulled me right through from start to finish. Plus I was reviewing it so felt I should give it good attention!
    Understand that worrying about the planet thing too, but for me it has to be twinned with a healthy dose of 'what if?', a kind of realism about what might happen one day and of not shying away from reading about difficult issues. Actually the novel made me feel bloody glad to be alive so you could say it has a positive effect....!
    by Anna Reynolds at 09:56 on 09 November 2007
    http://www.writewords.org.uk/forum/112_164663.asp

This is one thread, but I'm trying to find the original...will keep at it!

http://www.writewords.org.uk/forum/97_180497.asp

and this...but there is one more, I'm sure...
    by Steerpike`s sister at 20:06 on 13 November 2007
    Eve, maybe you just don't like it, that's OK! I LOVE Cormac McCarthy. I've not read The Road yet, but am thoroughly looking forward to it.