Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 84 message thread spans 6 pages:  < <   1   2  3  4   5   6  > >  
  • Re: Favorite Books
    by Terry Edge at 16:51 on 04 November 2003
    Has anyone read 'The Fan Man' by William Kotzwinkle? One of the few books that's had me barking with laughter in public. 'Doctor Rat' by him is also brilliant.

And anyone read 'Generation of Vipers' by Philip Wylie? A truly savage attack on American ideals, from the high end of politics down to men and women, and the cult of 'Mom'. It's full of quotable stuff and amazingly relevant to today, even though it was written in 1949. Wylie was very challenging in his books. I recall one novel (although I can't remember the title) where he predicted leisure centres where you pay your money and are left alone in a room where technology will produce anything you want as if it's real - a little like the holosuites (or whatever they're called) in Star Trek, except Wylie turns it on the reader, challenging you to admit to what you'd 'do'. The point being, do we know at what stage we'd stop, not because we're frightened of being found out, but because we think it's wrong to go further?

by Nell at 17:27 on 04 November 2003
    I haven't come across that one Terry.

The funniest book I've ever read was about a wildly eccentric somewhat crazy woman whose catchphrase was 'Give yourself nought for....' (Whatever was appropriate at the time.) She also used to say of her ex-husband 'He came at me with a penis.' The trouble is that I can't remember either the title or the name of the author, so if anyone could help I'd be eternally grateful as I'd love to read it again.
    by Dee at 18:05 on 04 November 2003
    Can't say for sure, Nell, but it sounds suspiciously like Jenny Diski.
    Dee.
    by Nell at 20:01 on 04 November 2003
    I just googled her, Dee, but the only one of her novels that might fit is Happily Ever After and that was written too late - I read this book about thirty years ago.
    by Ticonderoga at 20:36 on 04 November 2003
    Terry,
    Kotzwinkle is magnificent; Doctor Rat being unquestionably the greatest anti-vivisection satire ever penned. Have you read Fata Morgana? Wonderful too. My favourite funny books would have to be Hitler: My Part In His Downfall by Spike Milligan, which had me weeping with laughter, and A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole, a blistering, rollicking satirical farce on the various ills at the heart of modern American society, including consumerism, religious hypocrisy, racism and obesity - and written in 1968! Oh, and The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien, which is the funniest book ever written and should be read by any one with functioning eyes and brain..........

Mike

[Edited by david bruce at 07:37 on 06 November 2003
    Reason:
    duplicate posts removed]
    by Account Closed at 16:46 on 05 November 2003
    lol. I'll check those titles out. Always good to get a recommended read. In return, read 'The Black Dahlia' by James Ellroy (he who wrote 'LA Confidential'. I've just finished it and literally could not put it down. If you like crime noir and disturbing tales of 40's police corruption in Hollywood, you'll love it. If you're not really into crime fiction, as I'm not, I still defy you not to be gripped by this utterly compelling novel.

<Added>

'Utterly compelling' is my new sarcastic phrase by the way. I've now read it as a review quote on six different books....
    by Terry Edge at 12:28 on 06 November 2003
    Mike

I read Fata Morgana years ago, and I think there's a copy in our attic that I may re-discover soon since we are moving and have to clear it out. I remember it as being genuinely magical, in the sense that it seemed to come from a different world. I haven't read any of his more recent books - is he still reasonably sane? I seem to remember that his novel of ET was a lot better than the film - he added all sorts of stuff that improved it, like giving ET a wicked sense of humour. He's one of those writers who seem to have slipped through the popularity net for no apparent reason other than perhaps because they actually are the real thing - great story-tellers - and most people appear to prefer more diluted stuff.

Terry
    by Ticonderoga at 13:27 on 06 November 2003

Terry,

There's a brilliant recentish short story collection called, I think, Tales From An Empty Notebook and a very recent novel called The Bear Went Over The Mountain, in which the eponymous bear ends up playing sax in a jazz band! So yes, he's still comparitively sane.........Have you discovered Steven Millhauser? He's the real deal too, and hardly known over here. I think you'd probably like him a lot.

Best,
    Mike
    by Hilary at 09:00 on 07 November 2003
    I have to confess Amanda Cross is my favourite. I suspect such avid followers are uncommon, however, as rarely I speak to anyone who has ever even heard of her... amazing!

At a talk by some local authors at my local library, it was said that she had become disillusioned with the publishing world and was not writing any more Kate Fansler books.

I do hope she changes her mind.

How about a WW interview with Amanda Cross? ( That's her pseudonym, by the way ).

Hilary.
    by Sue H at 06:45 on 03 December 2003
    The Narnia books are way up there up my list. I've read and re-read them so many times and they are a source of inspiration. Just read Life of Pi which was fantastic (although I only really got into in in part 2), David Almond is a genius, particularly Skellig and Heaven Eyes and one of my all time very favourite books is Earthlight by Arthur C Clarke.
    Sue
    by Skippoo at 08:49 on 03 December 2003
    If I had to pick a few, my favourite books would be Wise Children by Angela Carter and A Clockwork Orange by Antony Burgess. Wise Children was the last thing Carter wrote and is one of the only books I wanted to start again the moment I finished it. You can choose how deeply you want to read it (which in itself is clever considering the main theme of the book is high culture vs. popular culture) and is so enjoyable to read. Ultimately it's a really energetic and positive book, I thought. I also love Generation X by Douglas Coupland.
    by Sue H at 18:58 on 04 December 2003
    Forgot one - Writing Down The Bones by Natalie Goldberg is absolutely wonderful. Good for writers block and inspiration. She's also written Wild Mind which is equally as good as has writing exercices. Makes you reach for pen and paper!
    Sue
    by Nell at 19:07 on 04 December 2003
    The Sea, the Sea by Iris Murdoch, The Slaves of Solitude, Patrick Hamilton, The Go Between, L.P Hartley and Carrington, a biography of Dora Carrinton by Gertzina Carrington. Oh and Paul Theroux's Milroy the Magician and Picture Palace and and...

<Added>

Talking to the Dead Helen Dunmore and...
    by Skippoo at 12:16 on 09 December 2003
    Sue H,

Yeah, Natalie Goldberg is good. Have you read Julia Cameron?

Cath
    by Anna Reynolds at 12:34 on 09 December 2003
    Julia Darling, anyone? OK, OK, she's one of our interviewees, but one of the most fantastic, warm, compassionate, raw, earthy..... I'm a fan. Crocodile Soup, The Street. The Taxi Driver's Daughter....
  • This 84 message thread spans 6 pages:  < <   1   2  3  4   5   6  > >