Login   Sign Up 

• The Road Home
    by Steerpike`s sister at 15:27 on 29 November 2008
    I'm just reading this now, for a book group, am about half way through and keep wondering when something is actually going to happen. Anyone else reading it, got any views?
  • Re: The Road Home
    by Anna Reynolds at 12:23 on 03 December 2008
    Oh, I just read this as sort-of-research for a big play I'm doing on Polish migration to the south-east/eastern region- I adored it from the word go, I must say- but then I did have an intense interest in the subject matter, and adored Lev and Lydia as soon as I encountered them- don't know how I might have felt had I approached it cold, as it were...it did completely grip me though. It was my first Tremain, and I immiediately went and bought Music and Silence, which slightly baffled me, and I have to admit to skipping great huge chunks of it, as historical things are not really my cuppa. I hope you perservere- it's truly lovely I thought, stayed with me and I really felt they were beautifully created characters with such human flaws and dilemmas and humour and love...
    by Rainstop at 13:01 on 03 December 2008
    I've just finished it. I know it won the Orange Broadband prize and has attracted a lot of praise, but I was really disappointed. I've written a review of it to try and convince one of my friends that it's not as good as its reputation. For me the characters just didn't work, the male characters were not convincing as the type of men they were supposed to be. Christy, for example, just doesn't act like any plumber I've ever met. He and Lev spend their whole time in mawkish discussions of love. And Lev, himself, one minute he's ultra perceptive about people and the next he doesn't even notice that the two guys he's sharing a caravan with are gay. Or that he's about to be mugged, when it's obvious to the reader. I could go on . . .

~Rod.

p.s I did find it quite engrossing, despite being constantly annoyed by its flaws. Ultimately, I think it's an excuse for middle class people like reviewers and readers (and me) to feel good about caring for the hapless pauper from Eastern Europe, without having to actually leave their armchairs. I could go on . . .
    by Steerpike`s sister at 20:04 on 04 December 2008
    I have finished it now and think I rather agree with Rainstop although I DO think the characters are very well-drawn and it is very well-written. It seemed to lack bite, and I agree that the characters are middle class English writers inhabiting the bodies of plumbers and Polish immigrants (though mind you, there are such things as middle class plumbers...) I also thought that Lev had, frankly, a pretty easy ride as an immigrant! Things could have been far worse for him - he fell on his feet a lot. I also was bugged by his mobile phone bills to Poland - and that she sticks in the odd sheepish line along the lines of "he was finding it hard to pay the phone bill but he just managed" - and that he manages to save £10 000 in one year (wish I could!) and get a head chef's job with no qualifications - really??
    Most people in my reading group liked it.
    What I did like was that she describes a multicultural England as if that is normal, which it is.
    I wonder what else was on the shortlist?
    by KimW5UK at 17:11 on 20 December 2008
    I missed this thread at the time I was actually reading the book.

I was disappointed, I hadn't read Rose Tremain before, and I'm not sure what I expected, but it wasn't this. It was well enough written, but it didn't say much, I thought it was a bit ordinary really. And Lev only had a few days of relatively mild trauma before most things just kept turning out well for him without having to jump though too many hoops.

I agree with Rainstop and Steerpike's sister in general. It lacked any significant bite and I didn't find the characters all that convincing. The tchevi thread could have been a lot funnier, but it was thin and I almost wondered why it was there at all. I also agree about the mobile phone bills to home, how did he manage that when he was worried about saving money?

It wasn't complete rubbish, but then again it wasn't amazing either.
    by CarolineSG at 19:15 on 07 January 2009
    I read this for my book group a few months ago and I loved it! I actually felt slightly bereaved about leaving Lev and co at the end.
    Isn't it funny how a book can prompt such different responses from people? I kind of like that, in a strange way...

<Added>

Anna - I think you and I have agreed on books a fair number of times!
    by Anna Reynolds at 14:41 on 08 January 2009
    Caroline, I felt the same- was just discussing this with a work colleague who had recommended it to me and we both recounted in great detail all the bits we'd most loved, and how much we wanted a sequel... we disagreed about the satisfaction rating of the ending, though- he felt he wanted Lev to find happiness with the waitress, I thought it's sad honesty was exactly right. We also thought that it takes a huge amount of skill as a writer to take something so apparently straightforward and simple and keep building the stakes higher and higher with such emotional clarity.
    by Jem at 11:42 on 27 March 2009
    I loved it too!

<Added>

But I didn't like the fairy tale ending. My editor would have said "too contrived."

<Added>

I meant getting the money off the old lady. We all wish!
    by Anna Reynolds at 11:48 on 27 March 2009
    I just felt Lev had kind of deserved it though, and there's no way in which he's suddenly going to be happy- there's far too much ongoing bleakness in his life for that, surely. I'm re-reading it after only a few months!
    by CarolineSG at 13:17 on 30 March 2009
    Which other Rose Tremains would people recommend? I don't think I've read anything else by her.
    by Jem at 10:39 on 01 April 2009
    Oh, Music and Silence. The best!! Caroline I promise you you'll love it as much as MadMen!
    by CarolineSG at 10:40 on 01 April 2009
    Oh wow, what a promise...I will be holding you to that, obviously

by Account Closed at 22:31 on 19 May 2009
    Music and Silence is wonderful, but I also adored the Colour which was really quite gritty. I liked The Road Home but I think I prefer her historical books,because she has such a skill for bringing an alien world to life and in that genre, her stories have a slightly 'magical' feel.

I love her writing style. Lovely lyrical prose, but spare and very clear.