Login   Sign Up 

This 111 message thread spans 8 pages:  < <   1   2   3   4   5   6  7  8  > >  
  • Re: Best ever writer
    by brightlad at 00:34 on 24 December 2008
    Oh whatsup jem, annoyed because I dont speak of shakes in awed tone of voice?
    And I am accused of over-esteeming Beckett!
    by Nik Perring at 00:45 on 24 December 2008
    Nope. I know you don't read other authors (hell, interested in literature, why would you?) but it seems that stretches to authors who respond to you on this site.

Again, what I said was:

come in to bang on and on and on and on about bloody Beckett, and to ignore any discussion or questions put to you

Love him as much as you want - we don't have to as much as we don't have to agree with you entirely and as much as we have the right to an opinion (our own) and as much as we all deserve a bit of respect - even from silly little person like you. Build a shrine to him if you think that's appropriate. Get a duvet cover with his face on it if that makes you happy (and if you've not already got one).I doubt many people here particularly care and I'm sure we all get the picture; the whole thing's become more than a little bit tiresome and repetetive, don't you think?

(I know, I know. I know what you're thinking: but Beckett's great!!)

by brightlad at 00:50 on 24 December 2008
    I will admit that perhaps I have not always been just in my criticisms but I like to think I have been fair.
    It is true that I always wanted to be a writer but instead of accepting the unfortunate stroke that turned me into a painter instead, I rallied against fate and allowed bitterness to enter my soul. So now and then I take my frustration out on writers..who at one time could have been my brothers-in-ink.
    by brightlad at 00:56 on 24 December 2008
    Your last post is hilarious nik, the way you do a commentary upon your own post and all.
    Hullo!!!!!!..you been spending too much time in a little room scribbling and probably other habits that I dont even want to contemplate
    by brightlad at 01:06 on 24 December 2008
    I should add that I mean stroke of fate and not an actual stroke...not that I would expect any mercy if that were the case and from what I have experienced of this 'civilised' forum.

Someone said that all this is becoming tedious and it is for me especially but it is not my fault if no one in here has actually got the wit to answer me properly!
    by Nik Perring at 01:06 on 24 December 2008
    I am glad I made you laugh.

And no, brightad, I don't think you've been fair in your critisisms at all, and that's bearing in mind you've made the critisisms without reading anything.

And I probably have spent too much time in my little room, scribbling. But then again, it is my job, so I think that kind of makes it okay. And why mention habits you don't want to contemplate? That sounds a bit silly.

Look, if you've suffered a stroke then you have my sympathy. What I don't understand (aside from what I've already stated I don't understand) is why you've such an attitude towards those who don't love Beckett as much as you and those who do like him and have tried to discuss him and his work with you.

Sounds to me like you just want to shout at a bunch of writers. And, you know, if you don't like us then it begs the questions: why are you here?
    by Nik Perring at 01:09 on 24 December 2008
    but it is not my fault if no one in here has actually got the wit to answer me properly!

As I believe I said before: you really want to play the arrogant shit. Blimey, who do you think you are? And you know, it doesn't wash. It just makes you look very, very silly. And you want to be taken seriously? Very good!
    by brightlad at 01:11 on 24 December 2008
    Excuse me nik but I dont recall upon scrolling through these damned posts saying that I want to be taken seriously.
    by Nik Perring at 01:13 on 24 December 2008
    Well you aren't being, so there's nothing to worry about, is there?
    by brightlad at 01:16 on 24 December 2008
    Ok I will come clean and admit it: The real truth is that it is true that I regret never becoming a writer and so the reason I come in here is to remind myself that how lucky it is that I never did become a writer for you are all such a bunch of ***********
    by Nik Perring at 01:18 on 24 December 2008
    Correct: we are all a bunch of stars. Thank you.
    by Sibelius at 09:54 on 24 December 2008
    Presumably, being minimalist, he was building on the woks of Hemingway and James Joyce.

Absolutely right Naomi. Both Hemingway and Joyce could knock up a mean stirfry in seconds. And it's a little known fact that Dickens preferred Thai.

...for he lived upon a higher spiritual plane than most.

Actually Brightlad, I've got a spiritual rocket which goes higher than Beckett's plane, so let's not generalise.

by NMott at 10:50 on 24 December 2008
    For someone who purports to love Beckett, brightlad, you actually say very little about him and his works bar generalisations. I suspect you have just plucked a name from the ether to goad us with.

<Added>

lol, sibelius.
    by Nik Perring at 12:28 on 24 December 2008
    Sibs
    by brightlad at 14:39 on 24 December 2008
    Nmott...What do you expect me to do, go into deep analysis of Becketts ouevre? That is the very thing to which he objected; he thought literary critics were a joke and he was probably right, there is something silly about trying to analyize any kind of art except in general, humble terms.
    The one fear I have it that I have come in here to defend and discuss his reputation but I have probably put a few people off beckett for life.
    Maybe there is a moral in there somewhere.
  • This 111 message thread spans 8 pages:  < <   1   2   3   4   5   6  7  8  > >