Login   Sign Up 

This 29 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 > >  
  • Re: Vote for your favourite book by a female author
    by SamMorris at 13:14 on 09 November 2004
    Partly for the sake of being a little controversial, how about 'Delta of Venus and Little Birds' by Anais Nin. Obviously that would be about changing the perception of women!
    by Skippoo at 13:26 on 09 November 2004
    Not read it, can you explain...?
    by SamMorris at 13:35 on 09 November 2004
    It is a very well written collection of shorts (or two collections put in the same book to be specific), and is published as a Penguin Classic no less. It is however a little, erm, explicit shall we say. It's not the usual kind of thing I would read, I have an urge to mention!
    by Al T at 13:37 on 09 November 2004
    Anna, I think Tom Wolfe is a genius, but think he may be to blame for giving some of the planet's largest egos (all male -natch) a title like Masters of the Universe, thus sanctioning them to take their megolamania to ever more extreme levels.

I adored his description of Charlie Croker in A Man in Full, as being someone who runs six miles before breakfast evey day, "so he will live forever"! - fabulous!

I'm also looking forward to reading his take on what it is to be a pretty, young Ivy Leaguer in I am Charlotte Simmonds, even if the Late Review crew thought his finger was very from the pulse.

Adele.

<Added>

very far from the pulse

<Added>

why is it I can't spell megalomania?
    by Anna Reynolds at 14:31 on 09 November 2004
    Adele, I agree totally but Masters is so good, as are the Lemon Tarts and the social xrays. Just about to re-read A Man In Full and stopping myself from buying the new one before the pile of unread books diminishes. What I want to know is, why wasn't Jane Smiley on that list?
    by Account Closed at 21:26 on 09 November 2004
    Hmmm, in that case, I'd go for 'Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow' (also known as 'Miss Smilla's Sense of Snow'by Peter Hoeg.

The character of Smilla is such a good example of a strong female lead, without the common pitfalls of a heroine in danger. Smilla is smart, acerbic, sharp and incredibly brave when faced with a whole world of trouble. The character reminded me of some women I know, rather than this girly stereotype (woman needs a man to rescue her etc.) we see in fiction and film so often.

So, that's my vote. Bet it isn't on the list though...

JB
    by Skippoo at 08:16 on 10 November 2004
    Oh JB, now you make me feel bad about my cynical-sounding comments about Kuereshi (one day I will learn to spell his name right too), but I really wasn't trying to be down on men! Intimacy did slightly change the way I see men, but I didn't see it as misgynistic, the way some people have, I just saw it as honest - and I appreciated the honesty.

Catherine
    by James Anthony at 09:29 on 10 November 2004
    That's the problem with literature. Women characters are either hapless mad types or deep mysterious women the edges of which men can only chip at. Most of the women I know I like the blokes I know, only with boobs. Of course there are differences, but let's not exaggerate them. They don't go around being enigmatic or expressing their feelings like they are scattering rose petals at an Indian wedding. They tend to be just, y'know, human. But maybe, I admit, this is only when men write about women.

Also the men sexually wanting anything that moves isn't one-sided. I know women who cheat on their boyfriends/ husbands and I don't know many of my male friends that do the same. Maybe I am just nice though.

I'd say the best has to be Jane Austen.

here's a question...do men write women characters well? From the other side I have to say that women generally don't write male characters well. There are obviously exceptions, but a lot of the time men are one-dimensional 'Sex-in-the-City' types, or brooding Heathcliff types. Oh, and let's not go down the road of men are one-dimensional because then, really, you may as well stop writing now!

Now, if you read my stuff you may think 'pot goading kettle' but that's pretty much why I don't think I am particularly good writer.

Just out there as a discussion really. Please don't insult me in replies
    by Account Closed at 12:46 on 10 November 2004
    Hehe. Men are often mocked for not understanding women. Conversely, women have never understood men in anything beyond a simple sexual context.

Ultimately thugh, all these opinions men have on women and vice versa are little moe than sweeping generalisations that tend to ring false in the real world.

What is the answer when creating fictional characters for our stories? I don't pretend to have an answer.

<Added>

My inability to type on a simple keyboard is becoming most frustrating.
    by anisoara at 17:59 on 10 November 2004
    IB, At least you only made one typo to the post. (This is a short one, so I hope I won't have any....)

Ani
    by Account Closed at 21:20 on 11 November 2004
    Catherine, don't feel bad about being down on men, I'm down on men all the time! And James, well, I could introduce you to a couple of my associates who are like men with boobs too...I mean, they really are.

In my stories, I always go for the strong female lead type. I love women, and have seen them perform acts of bravery most men would turn into jelly at. That doesn't make me a feminist. Just a realist.

JB
    by James Anthony at 21:52 on 11 November 2004
    Individual differences wax. I've seen that and I've seen the opposite. Maybe we write women we love? I find it easier to write male characters I dislike rather than female
    by Account Closed at 17:45 on 14 November 2004
    Well sure, the baddies are always the most fun for me.

JB
    by Zettel at 01:02 on 14 January 2005
    Simone Weil

A genius, unrecognised because she was a woman. And profound about human beings irrespective of gender and before the time when sexuality defined everyone.

Zettel
  • This 29 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 > >