Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 82 message thread spans 6 pages:  < <   1   2  3  4   5   6  > >  
  • Re: WRITEWORDS TOP 100 BOOKS
    by MF at 12:35 on 26 March 2009
    Eep! Thank you, Jem. Hari Kumar is just as swoony as I remembered
    by Rainstop at 12:37 on 26 March 2009
    If nobody else wants to do it, I'd be happy to set up a web-page where we could vote, once the nominations are in.

~Rod.
    by cherys at 12:42 on 26 March 2009
    Belated oops, blush, sorry. Didn't read the small print! Five only? That's even harder.

Yes I lovedVillette, but it's a long time since I read it.

And now Gillian's gone and reminded me of Disgrace and Stefland of To Kill A Mockingbird. So it's those two plus Gatsby, Oscar and Lucinda and um er Jane Eyre!
    by Trixie at 12:49 on 26 March 2009
    The Time-Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
    Never let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro
    Heroes and Villains - Angela Carter
    Lady Chatterley's Lover - DH Lawrence
    Twilight - Stephenie Meyer (shush ya'll, I LIKED it ok?!)
    by RT104 at 13:00 on 26 March 2009
    Saturday, you have three of my five!

Pride & Prejudice: Jane Austen
    North and South: Elizabeth Gaskell
    Middlemarch: George Eliot
    Gaudy Night: Dorothy L Sayers
    Less Than Angels: Barbara Pym

AND I love Alson Lurie, Caroline. And the L-Shaped Room, and Rebecca and I Capture the Castle and Tom's Midnight Garden, and Behind the Scenes at the Museum... and in fact most people's choices, really! God, this is hard. Some of my other runners up were The God of Small Things, The Bone People, Katherine, Fasting, Feasting, The Robber Bride and almost anything by Barbara Trapido. These things are a bit random, anyway, since I, like most people, chose only one representative book by each author - whereas actually, all my top ten would probably be Austen, Eliot and Gaskell.

(Rod, may I say, you seem to like boy books. This surprises me. Not sure why. Please don't be offended. My surprise is - in my strange perspective- a compliment.)

Rosy x

<Added>

Ooops - italics accident.
    by RJH at 13:20 on 26 March 2009
    Getting it down to five books is difficult - and so, oddly, is ascertaining exactly what it means to 'enjoy' a book. There are some books I've read that I raced through at the time and can't remember a thing about now, and others that seemed comparatively hard work to get through but have lingered and even grown in my mind - so is the 'enjoyment' all in the immediacy of reading the book or does it include its afterlife in the mind?

Here's a fairly representative sample:

What was Lost by Catherine O' Flynn (funny, sad & conveys the atmosphere of modern suburban life better than any other book I can remember).
    The Diary of a Nobody by George & Weedon Grossmith (hilarious - it's the book I dip into when I can't sleep at night).
    Keep the Aspidistra Flying by George Orwell (I really identified with this when I was young and angry - now I'm older and angry I can see that the main character is deluded. But that doesn't mean he's wrong [discuss...]).
    A Glastonbury Romance by John Cowper Powys (this book is about as long as War & Peace & the author was clearly barking mad - it's like Thomas Hardy on acid in dialogue with Henry Miller).
    The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (I've only read this once & put off reading it for a long time because I thought the title was awful - but it's amazing & has been slowly growing in my mind over the past few years).

If I'd been allowed a few more books, I probably would have included Crime & Punishment and Anna Karenina, which were the first two really big, philosophically involving novels I ever read & was astounded by. Also The Catcher in the Rye, which I read as a rebellious 16-year-old at boarding school (no surprise that I identified with Holden 100% at that age). I'd also throw in some more Orwell books, Patrick Hamilton's Hangover Square, one or two books by Elizabeth Bowen (perhaps The Death of the Heart), some P G Wodehouse, Harry Thompson's biography of Peter Cook (which I'm convinced is the best bio ever written), a bit of Alberto Moravia & possibly Of Love & Hunger by Julian Mclaren-Ross (because you can't beat a novel set in pre-war Bognor Regis where most of the characters are vacuum-cleaner salesmen, can you?)

by Stefland at 13:29 on 26 March 2009
    Sally,

The Road. I don't think that it is the post-apocalyptic element of the book that makes it so astonishing, I think it's McCarthy's exploration of the father and son relationship and the anguish that the father feels to know that his son will not survive. I'm a hard nosed so-and-so, but I was on a packed tube train in London trying my hardest not to cry whilst reading this book, when a lady opposite tapped me on the knee and said, "Yes, it had that effect on me too."
    I think as a parent it's a tough book to read, and as a father it's tough x2.

But each book is different to each reader. Joyce's Ulysses leaves me completely cold (as does Catch-22), but people rave about it as being one of the greatest books ever.
    by Rainstop at 13:36 on 26 March 2009
    (Rod, may I say, you seem to like boy books. This surprises me. Not sure why. Please don't be offended. My surprise is - in my strange perspective- a compliment.)

Yes, I noticed that the books I've read again and again are by boys, if that's what you mean. On my longlist were Donna Tartt, George Eliot (that's a girl, right?), and Marilyn French, because The Women's Room changed my whole view of this world. But I didn't allow myself book I've only read once. Much of what I read recently has been by women, but I guess I'm a bloke and find it easiest to relate to male characters.

~Rod

God, I nearly signed myself, Rosy.
    by RT104 at 14:07 on 26 March 2009
    The Women's Room changed my whole view of this world.

S'OK, I'll let you off, then.

R x

<Added>

Maybe better add that, just in case you think I'm serious....

Rosy (feminist thought police).
    by MF at 14:25 on 26 March 2009
    Gosh, it looks like I need to read The Road. I'd love to write something that had people reading it on the tube on the verge of tears.

Catch-22 left me cold, too.
    by Rainstop at 14:33 on 26 March 2009
    It may be a dad thing. I blubbed like a sissy. But then again, loads of women I know cried over The Road too. My girlfriend has vowed never to have children, but she returned my copy as a sodden lump of papier-mache.

Read it!
    by Rainstop at 14:38 on 26 March 2009
    The Women's Room

Have you read that too, Rosy? It was a shocker. Blew the lid of my parents for me when I was about twenty. A sickening experience.
    by CarolineSG at 14:38 on 26 March 2009
    Ooh, ohh, I want to put What was Lost in my list too now!

I almost burst a blood vessel in my eye when I finished the Road because I blubbed so hard.
    by RT104 at 14:49 on 26 March 2009
    [quote]Have you read that too, Rosy?[/quote?

Have I read it??

But I haven't read The Road, and it now looks like I must, and soon.

R x

<Added>

Can't do italics OR quotes today. Must learn to type.
    by Rainstop at 15:00 on 26 March 2009
    Have I read it??

Oops!

At least I can do quotes and italics and a range of smilies.
  • This 82 message thread spans 6 pages:  < <   1   2  3  4   5   6  > >