Login   Sign Up 

• Night Train to Lisbon
    by SarahT at 22:04 on 20 September 2009
    This is probably a stupid question but has anybody else read this book by Pascal Mercier? I've not finished this yet, but it has been a joy to read so far. I knew nothing about it before I started, other than there was an Isabel Allende recommendation on the front. I think I bought it as padding in a three for two offer but I have loved every minute. It's essentially a story of a mid life crisis wrapped around a historical mystery and tied up with lots of philosophical pauses. On the back it says meditative and that is a very apt description.

S
  • Re: Night Train to Lisbon
    by MF at 08:49 on 21 September 2009
    I read a proof copy for review ages ago - would definitely agree that it was a very graceful, meditative read. One of those books where everything seems to be simmering just beneath the surface, iyswim...
  • Re: Night Train to Lisbon
    by SarahT at 18:02 on 21 September 2009
    What I am enjoying is the fact that the bits that go off into philosophical musings don't interfere with the plot. Nothing seems particularly heavy or chewy, even though there is a lot of musing. I guess that, in a book like this, originally written in a different language, part of the lightness of touch is down to the skill of the translator.

S