Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 30 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • It`s the Best Book Of All Time and You Don`t Even Know About It
    by Silverelli at 00:03 on 05 January 2005
    Apologies if this thread is redundant, but...

I'm always searching for that hidden gem. It's like an addiction of mine to find the greatest works that nobody knows about. i.e. Writewords.

In my spare time, I even go to the depths of trawling through Amazon.com's novel section/listmania's, etc. for hours to come across anything that will spark a buzz, feed my craving, get me high.

Here are some little known explosive novels I have read that YOU HAVE TO READ, please share yours with me.

Boy Wonderby James Robert Baker-I have never seen so much entertainment packed into 500 pages until I came across this novel. Every page offers up a new mad chaotic scenerio that outdoes the one before it. It is told in a mock documentary style that depicts the life story of a Jerry Bruckheimer-esque Mogul named Shark Trager. He's dispacable, intrigueing, and the characters that surround him would not be nearly as interesting if it weren't for him passing through there lives. The whole book plays out like a movie within a movie about movies. It's brilliant. Sadly, it is out of print, but you can find a used copy and it has been optioned by a major motion picture company, so I'm sure there is a press waiting for it somewhere down the line.

Shallow Manby Coerte V.W. Felske-Mr. Felske wrote this first novel while he was roommates with Frederique Van Derwals brother. He got the inside scope on this world that many men wish about. About a guy who's sole talent is landing "Thing". Thing is the cream of the crop, the Super Models, the Heidi Clums of the World. Felske creates his own language and it's damn funny. Also, out of print. Good luck finding this one.

I will add more, later. Please post a brief synopsis about your hidden gems and what makes them so special?
  • Re: It`s the Best Book Of All Time and You Don`t Even Know About It
    by anisoara at 08:11 on 05 January 2005
    I love Barry Gifford's Wild Life of Sailor and Lula. It's six short interconnected novels. A Deep South setting. Completely off the rails. Short punchy chapters. The characters are so real, despite being outlandish, most of them. I LOVED this book, and I don't think I am ever going to find a job as a book reviewer.
    by Anna Reynolds at 09:33 on 05 January 2005
    Oh, and that became Wild At Heart, the David Lynch film, with Patricia Arquette and Nic Cage didn't it?

Like this thread.

Mine would probably be the works of Howard Spring, a novelist who was popular in the 30's and 40's but then went really out of fashion. Rachel Rosing is his best book, about a woman with no moral responsibility whatsoever, she's like the Snow Queen. Or My Son, My Son, a heartbreaking book about a father and son, and the terrible duty one particular dad has to his errant boy.
    by anisoara at 10:01 on 05 January 2005
    Yes, it was made into a film. I forgot about that. I haven't seen the film, but I'd like to.

Rachel Rosing sounds good. Immorality makes for great fictional scenarios.
    by kennyp at 11:04 on 05 January 2005
    "Hangover Square" by one of Britains most underated and least heralded writers: Patrick Hamilton.

George, through whom the story unfolds is a lonely bachelor who frequents the dingy Earls Court of the period; gas-lit bedsit land, sleazy bars, the pub-land drifters and no-hopers, low-grade hotels, Lyons tea houses - this is the world which Hamilton so sensitively and so achingly captures

Hamilton's use of dialogue and spare description perfectly evokes both the glitz and the seamier sides of pre-war London.

by anisoara at 12:22 on 05 January 2005
    There's a group of books by authors associated with that period, and that type of writing, none of which I have read, and all of which are on my wish list at Amazon. You just reminded me! Julian McLaren-Ross, eg Fear and Loathing in Fitzrovia is another, and I can't remember the others. (I have amassed more than 600 books on my wish list; unfortunately, it's not searchable.)

Have you read Julian McLaren-Ross' work?
    by kennyp at 13:27 on 05 January 2005
    Anisoara

No I haven't read any of Julian McLaren-Ross' work. He was a contempary of Patrick Hamilton though. But he certainly sounds like a character:a vacuum-cleaner salesman, an author, screenwriter, army deserter, alcoholic, drug-addict.And at one stage he was even the target of a Scotland Yard man-hunt!

Kenny
    by anisoara at 13:31 on 05 January 2005
    Yes, that's why I wanted to read it!
    by anisoara at 13:45 on 05 January 2005
    I've just ordered a copy of Rachel Rosing, recommended above by Anna.
    by Silverelli at 14:58 on 05 January 2005
    Lord Vishnu's Love Handles by Will Clarke-This should at least get honorable mention since it stuck out fron the rest I've read so much. Originally self published a few years ago and probably needed a good editor for polishing and a better press to cut out the typos, but other than that the writing is raw and new. The opening lines hooked me in and I couldn't put it down: "Shelby is a slut. She is also my wife." Simon & Schuster are publishing this novel due out in July 05. Another inspirational self-published gem.
    by Anna Reynolds at 16:37 on 05 January 2005
    Oh, Hangover Square, yes, fabulous, that also should belong on the 'best books about London' thread, shouldn't it? Hope you like Rachel Rosing, Anisoara- the prequel to it is a rather odd book called Shabby Tiger, which kind of lays the background out, but what I think I like is that the author never tries to excuse Rachel's behaviour, or explain why she is the way she is. And yet somehow it's hard not to adore her as a character study. Be warned, there are some unfortunate anti-Semitic lines in the book, of its time I'm afraid on that score, but other than that, it's very original. But an acquired taste.. Also, has anybody read the Constant Nymph? that's another book that's faded out of all significance..
    by anisoara at 17:00 on 05 January 2005
    Anna -- I have a copy of the Constant Nymph, and I keep meaning to read it! I was THINKING that it had come out recently as a special edition from Persephone Books, but I just checked and it didn't.

What's neat about Persephone Books is that each quarter they issue these really nice editions of two or three overlooked books. For anyone who's interested, the site is www.persephonebooks.co.uk. They are rather dear, though.

Silver -- Good news about Lord Vishnu's Love Handles. I like the name. It sounds familiar, but maybe I'm just confusing it with Manil Suri's Death of Vishnu, about a hmm what is he not a streetcleaner, but he's certainly down and out, and he's dying on the sheltered outdoor landing (where he lives) of a block of flats where he cleans up after everybody in exchange favours like the opportunity to eat their leftovers. It's marvellous.
    by Ticonderoga at 11:32 on 06 January 2005
    kennyp - Hamilton's trilogy, 20,000 Streets Under The Sky is a match for Hangover Square; sleazy, heartbreaking and riveting.
    Anything by Steven Millhauser or William Kotzwinkle would be on my list of undiscovered greats - two superb magical realist writers who constantly surprise and delight.

Best,

Mike
    by SamMorris at 22:01 on 08 January 2005
    This post spured me (at long last after the usual procrastination!) into doing the following review. Definetly the best book that I had never heard of before I read it:

American Graveyards - Ray Nayler

by Silverelli at 19:05 on 10 January 2005
    Bumping this to the top.

That sounds like a great recommendation, Sam. Must check it out.

Also, thought I'd mention an author I just can't get enough of lately. The Serge Storm series by Tim Dorsey. This guy's writing has been described as Dave Barry on crack. He's gradually gaining popularity over here in the States, especially in Florida where his novels take place. For good humor and modern pulp-y fiction, check his stuff out.

Start with Triggerfish Twist.
  • This 30 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >