Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 21 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 
  • Re: bad sex in fiction award nominees
    by optimist at 17:57 on 26 November 2009
    Yes but isn't quoting an entire scene akin to a spoiler?

Obviously if you put work out there you invite comment

Sarah

by alexhazel at 18:10 on 26 November 2009
    Yes but isn't quoting an entire scene akin to a spoiler?

You could say that of things like the Oscars, where they show scenes from the films that they nominate. If the scene were the climax of the book, then yes, it would be a spoiler. Otherwise, it's no more so than the kind of thing that gets done in the blurb for a novel to make you buy it.

(Having said that, I have one collection of Asimov short stories in which the summary on the back cover gives away the end of the story in question.)

Alex
    by optimist at 20:33 on 26 November 2009
    One could argue this forever - but the Oscar scenes are designed to show the film in a good light as are trailers - and you don't pick the weakest scene to go on the back of your book?

No reason why we can't have Bad Sex Awards - they say there is no such thing as bad publicity...

Good Sex Awards might be fun too

Sarah

by debac at 11:29 on 27 November 2009
    I'm with Alex on this.

It does get publicity for the book, and in an ordinary review the reviewer can highlight something in particular which he feels is poor, so this is no different.

And, as I said, I really liked the sex scene in one of the books listed for the bad sex awards - maybe I'll go and buy a copy, cos if I like the sex scene maybe I'll like the whole novel? The pile driver comment was unusual, sure, but I felt it worked.

Sorry, but I do think they are fair game.

However, I do like the idea of a Good Sex Awards too! Why not?

Deb
    by alexhazel at 11:36 on 27 November 2009
    Now I have this image of a row of women holding up ice-skating-style score cards
    by debac at 12:28 on 28 November 2009
    He he he... Sounds fun! I was thinking more of "good sex in literature" but if you wanna make it live....

Deb
  • This 21 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2