Login   Sign Up 

• If you`re going to accuse someone of plagiarism, do it in style
    by EmmaD at 08:57 on 03 August 2011
    Angry at the similarities between Cartland's Knave of Hearts... and her own These Old Shades, Heyer told her agent "I think I could have borne it better had Miss Cartland not been so common-minded, so salacious and so illiterate. I think ill enough of the Shades, but, good God! That 19-year-old work has more style, more of what it takes, than this offal which she has written at the age of 46!"

Wielding language like a rapier, in the manner of the best of her heroines, Heyer says that Cartland "displays an abysmal ignorance of her period. Cheek by jowl with some piece of what I should call special knowledge (all of which I can point out in my books), one finds an anachronism so blatant as to show clearly that Miss Cartland knows rather less about the period than the average schoolgirl," adding that she would "rather by far that a common thief broke in and stole all the silver".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2011/aug/02/georgette-hayer-decries-plagiarism

All thanks to Jennifer Kloester's new biography of Georgette Heyer, which is due out in October.

Emma
  • Re: If you`re going to accuse someone of plagiarism, do it in style
    by saturday at 12:08 on 03 August 2011
    Didn't she already write one?

<Added>

No, she didn't. She wrote a kind of compendium thing, a guide to characters, places etc.