Login   Sign Up 

• Anyone read Jonathan Safran Foer`s Everything is Illuminated?
    by Anna Reynolds at 14:38 on 03 October 2003
    I began this last night and laughed so much at the first chapter I nearly made myself sick. Truly. Has anyone read it? Please tell me the rest of the book lives up to this.
  • Re: Anyone read Jonathan Safran Foer`s Everything is Illuminated?
    by Alex_breeze at 19:12 on 28 October 2003
    Hi Anna!
    What was so funny there? I am really interested in your opinion, because I live in Ukraine, so I can imagine how do you understand our lifestyle and culture - It's different! Just beleive me!

(erm... I'm just learning English, so forgive me my mistakes please... )
    by Anna Reynolds at 11:36 on 29 October 2003
    I think it's the way the writer so cleverly gets across the fantasy world of the narrator- and his wonderful arrogance and sense of himself, which gradually crumbles throughout the rest of the book and becomes very moving. Have you read it? What did you think?
    by Alex_breeze at 18:01 on 29 October 2003
    Greetings, Anna!
    What I think about book?.. Heh... My friends tell me about it just few days ago, and I plan to search&buy it, so now I'm really interested in your appraisal . ("...very moving..." - you mean "appealing", is it right?) (Oh, it's a consternation - I can't express my thoughts as I want, but I'll try...) Some people say about it that author express his feelings without any complexes and feel himself freely, maybe because impressions from the outside are always wondering (or, sometimes strange, dark, absurd, etc. ), so the book starts from appreciation of "external view", and ends by appreciation of "internal view". But I want to read it by myself , so, you say, you like it? Is there any use to buy the book?
    by Anna Reynolds at 17:26 on 30 October 2003
    Yes, do read it- then you could let the site know what you think, that would be interesting.
    by bjlangley at 11:51 on 31 October 2003
    I've started it now, and the first chapter is fantastically funny.

Some of the phrases used are simply hilarious.