Login   Sign Up 

• Indy Lit, Indy Film, Indy Music
    by Silverelli at 19:38 on 19 July 2005
    Please post indy gems that you have read, watched or listened to lately.

I'm hoping this thread will open all of our eyes to the crazy amount of talent out there that is not completely mainstream or global.

I'll post mine, in a little bit, at work, have to tend to everyone.
  • Re: Indy Lit, Indy Film, Indy Music
    by Sue H at 22:12 on 19 July 2005
    does it have to be current stuff? hope not!

films - badlands, repo man

music - that's hard! i love nine inch nails and queens of the stone age but they're not indy. i know! the blue van! not actually very indy - tvt. do you mean label or sound? we like kaiser chiefs too in our house, and green day, but they're not indy either!!

books - now i'm stumped. i tend to read ya novels (research you know!) but am currently reading one of the little bitty penguin books - not indy but i'm enjoying it! - young austerlitz by wg sebald, but the all time (not indy) classic is fear and loathing and/or hell's angels by the wonderful hunter s.

s
    x
    by Al T at 22:31 on 19 July 2005
    Adam, it's not indy, but I have to tell you that at the gym I saw Eminem's video for I ain't never seen an Ass like that and I wondered if he is another of your alter egos - it was so you!!!

I also went to a dance class that used to have fun music like La Vida Loca by Ricky Martin, but has just been revamped with lots of hip hop stuff I've never heard of. I told the teacher that I didn't know the new stuff and she said she'd heard a lot of it clubbing in Greece last week. I think that's where you should go to do your research, whilst I should shuffle off to an old folks home

Hasta la vista,

Adele.
    by Skippoo at 21:35 on 03 August 2005
    Maybe you need a more concrete definition of 'indy' (indie?) here, Silv, for more responses....

Cath
    by kennyp at 11:27 on 04 August 2005
    Films: Recently saw on DVD again Neil Labutes's "Your Friends and Neighbours" (hard to believe he used to be a mourmon!)dark ,caustic bordering on the mistantropic. Jim Jarmusch classic Down By Law, Boiler Room and Swingers.

Music: Reggaeton is beginning to get some exposure in the uk. Daddy Yankee's "Gasolina" was an underground hit in clubs this summmer.

Kenny