Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 53 message thread spans 4 pages:  < <   1   2   3  4 > >  
  • Re: Books/writers you`re embarrassed to love
    by Skippoo at 15:02 on 09 August 2005
    God, I can't remember the first sex scenes I read - other than Judy Blume's Forever (second time I've talked about that on this site this week, mainly due to having posted my attempt at a teenage sex scene). It was probably something really trashy, though.

Cath
    by Mojo at 16:09 on 09 August 2005
    Since we're documenting 'first sex scene ever read', mine was in the first adult book I ever read - 'Bonnie & Clyde'. No idea who wrote it, or whether it was the book of the film, or if the film was based on the book. Georgie Fame wrote the song, though... I distinctly recall there was one sex scene in the book. I was only about 9 and had only just been enlightened - by my older sister, then 16 and a student nurse - that reproduction had sod all to do with gooseberry bushes or storks. I had to ask my sister to explain the scene to me (she lent me the book). I imagine that it was fairly mild, because my mum read it, too, and didn't ban me from reading it.

My next foray into adult literature was 'The Godfather'. Is a pattern emerging? I don't recall any graphic sex scenes in that, but there was a vivid description of an over-generously-sized willy that made an impression on my formative mind. Not that much of an impression, though, as I went right back to my collection of children's books. Then again, one of them was called 'Jill Enjoys Her Ponies'. Now there's a title that's stuck in my head. They'd probably ban it now.

Julie
    by Skippoo at 16:17 on 09 August 2005
    Julie, I liked that title so much I've suggested people try writing something using that as inspiration (see writing exercises thread)!

Cath
    by Account Closed at 09:39 on 10 August 2005
    Got to get your kicks somehow I suppose, hey Cath?

JB
    by Skippoo at 11:41 on 10 August 2005
    What can I say, Wax? I'm in the Goby here....
    by Account Closed at 08:29 on 11 August 2005
    The Goby or the Gobi? I see you used to write for Mixmag. That must have been fun. Did they send you anywhere nice? I'm thinking of going off to Ibiza for my birthday in October.

JB
    by archgimp at 07:25 on 20 December 2005
    Sorry to ressurect this thread so late, but like a the good catholic that I'm not, I feel the need for confession.

A while back, when I decided that I would take writing seriously, I figured I would use some of my marketing savvy and do things right. (As background: I used to run a marketing firm.)

So, I went out and looked for authors who consistantly sold, and sold a lot.

The upshot - I found myself with nearly ten Dean Koontz books that I couldn't bring myself to give to charity shops when I'd finished.

So there: I confess. I enjoy formulaic thrillers with the same characters and plots repeated over and over, written at a rate of knots.

So how many Hail Marys do I have to do?

<Added>

Urm, omit the 'a' from the first sentance and it makes sense - I promise :)
    by long`n`short at 08:06 on 20 December 2005
    Don't think I own any books I would say I was ashamed to have on my shelf. If I thought a book was beneath me, I wouldn't buy it in the first place.
  • This 53 message thread spans 4 pages:  < <   1   2   3  4 > >