Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 76 message thread spans 6 pages:  < <   1  2  3   4   5   6  > >  
  • Re: Books/Writers you`re embarrassed not to have read
    by Account Closed at 14:47 on 11 August 2005
    Well said Mike.

A lot of these classics are rubbish by today's standards anyway, it's just nobody wants to say that. They're afraid they'll look stupid. Of course, I have no such fear. My stupidity is well documented.

JB
    by Ticonderoga at 15:01 on 11 August 2005
    Hurrah for such stupidity!!

Mike
    by Dee at 16:49 on 11 August 2005
    Ooo! Ooo! Good thread.

Pride & Prejudice (hanging head in shame) I started reading it four years ago when I had to spend a night in hospital and abandoned it the moment I got home. In my mind it is now confused with awful hospital food and a very dishy Registrar who looked nothing like Colin Firth – although I wouldn’t complain if he appeared at my bedside.

But I have read The Great Gatsby. I was introduced to it by my Latin teacher when I was 12. Can’t remember the details but one day, for some reason, she read us a long passage from it instead of a Latin lesson. I was mesmerised, but it still took me 40 years to realise I didn’t need to speak Latin to read the thing. And, no, I don’t think it’s worth all the hype.

Dee
    by ginag at 17:48 on 11 August 2005
    I just love Pride & Prejudice.

But as to what I haven't read, the list is far too long. These are a few classics I've tried to read.

Wuthering Heights - gave up after a few chapters, Cathy was a pathetic creature and I couldn't 'get' Heathcliffe at all. But I love Jane Eyre.
    War and Peace - Yawn
    The Grapes of Wrath - I know it was the depression but....
    The Woman in White - Only ever got to chapter two before giving up.

Also I have never read even one Booker prize winner. I don't read much recent fiction, I find it really hard to chose new books I like. I end up reading my favourites again and again.

Gina
    by bjlangley at 18:43 on 11 August 2005
    There's only about 2 books listed in this thread that I have read.

I, however, feel no shame.
    by Account Closed at 08:18 on 12 August 2005
    I read Life of Pi. That was a Booker winner wasn't it?

My two favourite classics, that I've read again and again, and even did my A-level English lit on is Frankenstein and The Strange Case of Dr.Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I still can't quite believe that the former was a 19 year old girl's first attempt. The latter I've quoted from in my first novel. Both stunning.

The classic I couldn't chew was The Secret Agent By Conrad. I don't know if it's because we had to read it in school and it was like a sleeping pill, or what. Maybe I'll give it another go.

JB

by Skippoo at 09:56 on 12 August 2005
    Most of my favourite books are post-war, but I agree that Frankenstein is amazing.

Cath
    by anisoara at 11:01 on 12 August 2005
    ahem....

Like, I haven't read Frankenstein.
    by Account Closed at 12:26 on 12 August 2005
    Gasp! Go stand in the corner!
    by anisoara at 13:18 on 12 August 2005
    [eyes tearing up} *sniff*
    by Account Closed at 14:30 on 12 August 2005
    Awww, I'm sorry. But you really should read it. I was amazed at how modern it is, and it really poses a great question. The story within a story within a story aspect of it is brilliant too, and that was what I wrote my A+ essay on.

Yep. I was an A+ student, even after three expulsions and a near army draft so take heart kids!

JB
    by anisoara at 17:57 on 12 August 2005
    Well done Wax!

Well, I will read Frankistein at some point. You know what else I really want to read? Bram Stoker's Lair of the White Worm - apparently the film's a kitsch classic!

<Added>

Why don't I make that Frankenstein[/i}! *slaps head*
    by Grinder at 18:11 on 12 August 2005
    At the risk of being castigated and ostracised. I have to admit I’ve never read any Terry Pratchett.

I don't know if I can live with the shame?

Grinder
    by old friend at 19:44 on 12 August 2005
    There is a large building nearby; it is called The Public Library and it is overfull with books I have never read.

My alter ego reads avidly, but only when he's drunk, so I can never remember what he has or has not read.

I hang my head in shame for being a non-drinker.

Len
    by shinykate at 20:10 on 12 August 2005
    Hey,

I've got an English degree and used to make a sport out of not reading what was expected of me, and reading 'outside the cannon'.

So... where do I start?

Paradise Lost
    Macbeth

It goes on. It gets worse.
  • This 76 message thread spans 6 pages:  < <   1  2  3   4   5   6  > >