Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 57 message thread spans 4 pages:  < <   1   2   3  4 > >  
  • Re: Comfort reads
    by Account Closed at 09:44 on 01 November 2005
    On the re-reading issue, I re-read masses, but only some things - different kind of reading from reading new things - more like watching telly, but better - my way of relaxing and vegging out - re-read some detective novels, lots of children's stuff and nineteenth century novels - with the latter though I do find that I come across new things every time, or things I had forgotten, because there is so much to them, so never seems to me a waste of time - no more than it would be a waste to listen to a piece of music or look at a picture more than once.

I agree, VM. I re-read only certain books and even those quite rarely, but when I do I often enjoy them even more than I had the first time around. (I suppose it helps that I'm an opera lover; I've grown accustomed to listening to dozens of different recordings of one opera -- and longing to hear more...)

Also, I think it's also a bit like going to see a new production of a play that you like. You evolve, you're no longer the person you were a few years ago, so of course your interpretation of a book is bound to change; and naturally much of the angle of interpretation depends on your current mood and concerns. For example, Austen is one of my most frequently re-read authors (as you can probably guess, from the non-fiction thread!) and it's strange how much the reading experience of, say, Pride and Prejudice can change in something like two years. Not only do I discover new things in it each time (or things that I've simply forgotten), but the whole universe of the novel changes, the look & the feel of it; and the 'presence' of the characters, too. There are a dozen different Elizabeth Bennets in my brain... all of them the same character, of course, but all of them different, too -- and I can't quite put my finger on the how or why.
    by Elbowsnitch at 10:15 on 01 November 2005
    I loved Elizabeth Jane Howard's novel (thinly fictionalised personal experience) Falling - would really recommend it.

Have you got Georgette Heyer's Regency World, Emma? I looked it up on Amazon - a bit expensive - wondering whether to buy it. May wait for the biog.

Frances
    by EmmaD at 13:24 on 01 November 2005
    I Capture the Castle high on my list, too. I'm a great re-reader: have been reading Sayers' Strong Poison for the umpteenth time, over lunch as an antidote to the rest of life being much too frantic and disorderly at the moment. I agree that you see different things each time you re-read - how many and how different is one of my tests of how literary a book is. But when you know a book as well as I do the Harriet Vane books, or some of the Heyers, it's more like a hot bath than a literary experience.

I haven't bought the Heyer Regency World book, tho' I might have if I hadn't just finished with that period, for research purposes. No doubt it'll be paperbacked - I suspect it'll be a big seller.

Emma
    by Tarbra at 10:28 on 04 November 2005
    My favourite comfort read is 'The Wind on the Moon' by Eric Latelinker. Because it takes me back to when I didn't have to pay houshold bills, and didn't have financial responcibilities for anyone else. It is a childrens book that I first read for my eleven plus, and it really is a wonderful book.
    I also tend to read other peoples autobiographies, not the ghost written ones about celebrities but the true life ones people write themselves, because they have real emotion in them.
    by DP at 10:03 on 08 November 2005
    The funniest book I ever read was William Sutcliffe's "Are You Experienced?". I think I noticed one of his other books has been mentioned in this thread - "New Boy". It gives me a lift every time I read it.

I'm not a great one for re reading whole books, but there's something comfrting about picking a book off the shelf and picking a chapter out of it. (Okri, Coupland, Theroux etc.)
    by archgimp at 06:50 on 09 December 2005
    Comfort reading. Well, I suppose it would have to be Sirens of Titan, Galapagos and Cat's Cradle - all by Kurt Vonnegut.

SoT never fails to bring tears to my cynical eyes in the final 'scene'. So far, it's the only book I know that can do that to me every time I read it.

Strange comfort, I realise. However; sometimes all I need to hear to feel better is that there's someone having a worse time. Perspective never fails.
    by CarolineSG at 09:43 on 13 December 2005
    Frances,
    Have just read Falling and thought it was brilliant. She managed to get inside Henry's head so beautifully.
    Only problem was, I realised after starting it that I watched a tv dramatisation of this a few months back and so I knew what I was coming! I had completely forgotten. But then, I am the person who (cringe) has actually bought the same book twice by mistake. And I'd READ it!
    by Katerina at 10:36 on 13 December 2005
    Anything by Erica James, or Sophie Kinsellas Shopaholic books are a real hoot. They're all about a girl called Rebecca who is really bad with money, she just spend, spend, spends. They are side achingly funny at times.

Eric James has written some wonderful stories, try 'Precious Time' or 'The Holiday'.

We had someone in work once called Richard Head, I swear it is true. Bet his name wasn't shortened to Dick!

Kat

<Added>

Oops, meant Erica, not Eric!
    by EmmaD at 10:51 on 13 December 2005
    An army acquaintance had a bloke in his regiment whose surname was Parts. Guess what his rank was.

Yes.

Emma
    by DJC at 10:52 on 08 January 2006
    The Sharpe novels, by Bernard Cornwell. There's 18 of them, and they are very well written. He's an incredibly prolific writer, but I think his Sharpe series shows him at his best. And no, you don;t spend all your time thinking of Sean Bean, as the character is very well rounded, and develops in an interesting way through the books.
    I'm only on book three, and can't wait to get onto the fourth!
    by DJC at 10:55 on 08 January 2006
    If it's non fiction, then books by Jack Kornfield really get me thinking beyond myself. 'A Path with Heart' is exceptional, and isn't, as many people think, overtly Buddhist (not that there's anything wrong with that).
    by anisoara at 12:24 on 08 January 2006
    My biggest re-reader is Master and Margarita. (I think this is the case among many Russophiles.)
  • This 57 message thread spans 4 pages:  < <   1   2   3  4 > >