Login   Sign Up 

This 30 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 > >  
  • Re: Swept off your feet
    by optimist at 16:15 on 08 November 2005
    "Lunar Park" - not even sure I liked it that much but couldn't put it down. Compelling reading.

Now I did like "Shadow of the Wind" - only book in my book group I've ever finished!

They don't know it yet but they're reading "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell" as my next choice!

I agree with shellgrip - it's only the books I don't like that I can leave around unread.

optimist
    by EmmaD at 16:28 on 08 November 2005
    I still feel as if I'd know Ruby Ferguson's Jill if I bumped into her in ASDA, or Monica Edwards' Lindsay and Tamzin. Always assuming that the economic climate and Surrey property prices have forced them to move to the grim North...

I think it was Noel Streatfeild, writing about E. Nesbit, who invented the 'bus test':

"One way of gauging the aliveness of a family in a children's book is to ask yourself 'Would I know them if they sat opposite me in a bus?'"

Emma

<Added>

I enjoyed Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell a lot, but somehow got diverted. I don't think I cared enough about any of the characters, though I found the whole thing very fascinating. Suspect S. Clarke was brought up on Joan Aiken, as I was.
    by CarolineSG at 16:29 on 08 November 2005
    Shellgrip, what was the book you mentioned? I'm curious.

Optimist - I agree about Shadow of the Wind. Thought I was the only one!

I've got 'Jonathon Strange.....' and I think I'll read it next, after all these recommendations.
    by el gringo at 16:54 on 08 November 2005
    You should. As a first novel it's an awesome achievement, hugely inventive and populated with a cast of odd characters I'm struggling to match in my own writing! The style appears to me more pastiche of post-romantic fiction than anything else, though others disagree with my assessment. Enjoy!

Andy
    by Tarbra at 09:44 on 10 November 2005
    I was first swept off my feet at the age of ten by 'The wind on the moon' by Eric Linklater, and I actually bought a copy this year to read to my daughter, as even though she is 15 now she loves me to read to her, she loved it. Now putting aside the clissics I love a good horsy thriller. The last one I read, last week that is, was 'Outsider' by John Francome, and all his books are good fast track reads. The two books that stay in my mind from a few years back is 'Firefox' the author just went out of my head though this book was made into a film with Clint Eastwood playing the lead role, and 'One flew over the coockoo's nest' , the film to this was brilliant, but I liked the book a little better.
    I like books that make you think, and or give you emotional feeling. Linda
    by Account Closed at 14:42 on 10 November 2005
    The thing with Jonathan Strange that got me was how easily imagined it was, how vivid the characters, and how damn funny it was. There are real laugh out loud moments, and the olde worlde dialogue really lends itself to humour. All that 'O!' - ing made me chuckle lots.

The thread of magic running through it is beautifully haunting. I was pleased to see Clarke is planning to write more about the Raven King. Let's see if the upcoming movie amounts to much.

JB
    by optimist at 20:05 on 10 November 2005
    So there's going to be a movie!

Jonathan Rhys-Meyers as Jonathan Strange please!

(Sorry, but it is a beautiful thought!)

optimist
    by Dreamer at 23:24 on 10 November 2005
    It's like the difference between being a two-year-old and discovering an earthworm, wriggling and squirming out of the ground and being a parent of that two-year-old watching her face, amazed and concentrated, as you put it on the palm of her hand. (It happened to me this weekend and I was thinking that at the time.) Which is the 'better' experience? The latter is a more second-hand experience but is a wonderful way of living it again, this time with more knowledge and understanding.
    Not sure if the analogy holds up

Sorry fro being so late but I think it is more akin to having dissected the worm in biology class and picturing how it moves versus the child watching it innocently.

Yours was still a first time experience of a mother watching a child.

Brian.
    by Account Closed at 16:18 on 11 November 2005
    Argh! I wrote a reply yesterday but then my stupid laptop decided to restart of its own accord, and the whole thing was lost. Along with half a chapter of something I've been writing lately. Oh well...

Anyhow, I agree with many of you that it's harder to get lost in a book when you've learnt a thing or two about the dynamics of writing. I think it might also mean that when it does happen, the experience is all the more powerful...

I wonder, though, if this applies to your own writing as well? When I was young, I got wrapt up in the stories I was writing -- I was genuinely entertained by my own imagination. I'd like to think I've become a better writer since then; at the very least, I'm more aware of what I'm doing. From 'mere' entertainment, I graduated to writing (or trying to write) more 'challenging' or 'clever' things. But though I've gained a lot I think I've lost something important on the way. I think I've travelled a full circle -- I've come to realise that young me was right, after all! I suppose the trick is to take that visceral enjoyment and harness it with the knowledge I now have (or think I have). I only hope it's still possible to get that early, naive je ne sais quoi back...

And Emma,

But I think that I shy away from feeling that much. I shrink from being so over-taken, don't want my blood pressure to rise or to cry or to mind so much about what happens. So I grab an old friend of a detective story or a Heyer off the shelf instead.

That's a good point as well. I've got a compartmentalised brain that usually keeps 'real-life' emotions under lock and key, so I definitely understand what you mean. But I think the compartment system gets lulled into a false sense of security when I read fiction; it says to itself, 'Ah, it's not real, it doesn't matter'... and before you know, it matters very much indeed!
    by archgimp at 08:08 on 07 December 2005
    I was just thinking about this very issue the other day.

By way of backfill: I recently realised that the reason I was never truly happy with my 'day-jobs' was nothing to do with my aptitude for them. I have never been described as anything less than apt. It was that for my whole life, I had been writing whenever I could. If not on paper, then in my mind.

However; what finally spurred me into some positive action was when someone handed me a dog-eared copy of Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code. They impressed on me 'Great book!, I couldn't put it down...'

Well, as most of my friends know, I'm always on the lookout for great books, and all the fuss over the content of the book had me intreaged. So, with a long bus jouney ahead of me, I sat down to read...

...and I couldn't put the book down.

Now, this wasn't becasue I was absorbed into the story through the keen whit or snappy dialogue. No. I was simply amazed that so many people could be sold on a book that, in my eyes, was so intensely average that were it not for my constant imploring hope that it would get better soon, I would certainly not have finished the book.

I've been reading fiction books since I was 6. By the time I was 12 I was reading a novel in an evening, and padding the days out with things like Dawkins, Dennet and Gould. I considered that it was snobbery that prevented me from enjoying The Da Vinci Code. Perhaps, I had simply been spoiled by the likes of Vonnegut?

So I re-read a few passages, but this nagging suspiscion began dawning on me: "If people will publish, and subsequently buy this kind of book, maybe I should really take up writing myself."

And so it was done. To my delight I discovered that the old addage was true: "Writing is the only thing that, when I'm doing it, I don't feel I should be doing something else".

Anyway - that's what made me make this my first post on this website; but now to the point of the whole topic.

The last two books that had me so absorbed I couldn't put them down were:

Corpsing by Tony Litt/i]

and

The Falls by Ian Rankin

Both bought as part of my 'Going to have to broaden your horizons if you want to write well' initiative.

<Added>

Argh! Must remember to check for typos before submitting! =/
    by ShayBoston at 16:04 on 07 December 2005
    Welcome Archgimp.

I'll like that old addage. It's so true.

I've been able to resist the Davinci Code so far.

I have to say that I was disappointed with Corpsing. I know Litt likes to shock a little and be a bit gratuitous at times. Nothing wrong with that, but it seemed too blatant in this novel and the plot seemed to contrived and for me fizzled out. It put me off him, but I read one of his short stories in 'All Hail The New Puritans', which was very good.

Novels that have inspired me are The Thirty Nine Steps, The Beach (forget the film) and more recently Magnus Mills, Staying Alive - Matt Beaumont and Stickleback - John McCabe.

These are books that I not only enjoyed, but drive me to write faster and better.
    by EmmaD at 16:28 on 07 December 2005
    Yes, great adage.

I heard some of the New Puritans read not long after that collection and came out, and... well, if this was the Lounge, I'd say what I thought, but it isn't, so I won't, except that I'm very, very glad that, despite the attention-catching campaign, their principles have not been adopted by the literary establishment at large.

Emma
    by archgimp at 07:39 on 08 December 2005
    Thank you for the welcone NewBoston,

I think what had me engaged with Litt's book was the refreshing honesty with which the concepts were presented.

Often (in the interests of not alienating readers, I suppose) I find authors will present their main protagonist as an 'everyman' tweaked to the needs of the particular story. What gripped me about corpsing was that the main character was brutally honest with himself, and by extension: me, the reader.

It's something I've noticed before when reading books of all genres. Say our protagonist is going to commit adultury. Many authors would try to build sympathy with the character. Perhaps explaining what's driven them to this action, how they are lacking love, or want to hurt their other half. Whatever it is, it seems the authors are almost worried that you will disengage with any character who knowingly acts wrongly. Very rarely have I seen authors who would present the adulturer as knowing full-well what they are doing, knowing it's the wrong thing, having no mitigating reasons, but just doing it anyway.

Although that's an arbitary example spun from whole cloth, it illustrates what attracted me to Litt's piece.

Of course, it had nothing whatsoever to do with the fact they'd stained the edges of the pages an attractive red...
    by mariaharris at 21:53 on 14 December 2005
    Like James Anthony, I'm currently being swept away by Haruki Murakami. "Sputnik Sweetheart", "South of the Border, West of the Sun" and "Norwegian Wood", I found mesmerising. "Kakfa On The Shore" and "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" were amazing until about two-thirds of the way through, at which point the existential weirdness became too much for me. I still finished and enjoyed them, but don't ask me what was going on in the story!
    by DJC at 11:35 on 08 January 2006
    I find that movies often do the same thing - you get so involved in the world, and when it ends you feel really flat, and wonder what it was you got so caught up with. And '24' - sorry for being a pleb!
    Better to have the 'reading high' and its accompanying low, than never to experience it in the first place. It's a bit like the saying 'it's better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all'. We have these love affairs with books, these personal relationships, and it's always sad when they come to an end. But at least we've been there, and felt it.
  • This 30 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 > >