Login   Sign Up 

• Richard and Judy reveal next year`s Book Club titles
    by Anna Reynolds at 12:59 on 14 December 2005
    http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/articles/0,,1666510,00.html

Last night on their Channel 4 show, Richard and Judy unveiled the 10 books that will feature on the programme in 2006.

The books that made the final list were chosen from over 500 titles submitted by publishers, all of which came out in the last year. Established authors such as Julian Barnes (on there with his Booker-shortlisted novel based on the life of Arthur Conan-Doyle, Arthur & George) and Kate Mosse (author of historical novel Labyrinth and founder of the Orange Prize) will vie with newcomers Richard Benson (whose memoir The Farm made the Guardian First Book Award shortlist) and BBC producer-turned-author Martin Davies (The Conjuror's Bird) for the coveted title of Richard and Judy Book of the Year. The winner will be announced at the British Book Awards, which will take place on March 29.

So what's the verdict on the listed books? has anyone read them?
  • Re: Richard and Judy reveal next year`s Book Club titles
    by sazzyjack at 13:58 on 12 January 2006
    Hi Anna,
    New to the site and just saw this posting. The only one of the books I've read is Labyrinth by Kate Mosse, and I have to say it was a wonderful read. Gripping from the beginning with a host of fantastic characters. She is very successful at achieving a smooth transition back and forth between the time periods. I would be intersted to hear opinions from anyone else who has read this novel, or any others on the list.

Sarah
    by Account Closed at 17:52 on 12 January 2006
    As usual, the sci fi/fantasy/horror genre goes completely ignored in favour of the usual literary 'read one, read 'em all' pap. Out of them all, I've eyed Labyrinth, and may give it a whirl. Most of the other plots strike me as wholly contrived.

By the way, has anyone else noticed the shameless appearance of lots of 'Da Vinci Code' style books all of a sudden? Talk about cashing in...

JB
    by Anna Reynolds at 21:16 on 12 January 2006
    Sarah, why not review Labyrinth for WW?
    by Colin-M at 16:34 on 06 February 2006
    I'm halfway through Labyrinth and floundering. Boring boring boring. Lots of research and detail. Hardly any story.

Is it really worth continuing when I could be staring at the wall instead?
    by Shika at 18:49 on 06 February 2006
    I read Empress Orchid. It was well-written, beautifully descriptive but I somehow did not like the MC enough. S
    by Sue H at 19:26 on 06 February 2006
    Vaguely on the subject - I'm just reading one of last year's shortlisted titles - The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon - and it's absolutely wonderful. Gripping, beautifully depicted, well drawn characters, clever clever plot - I love it!

Sue
    by CarolineSG at 15:52 on 21 February 2006
    Colin
    I'm also halfway through Labyrinth and not enjoying it. I'm really shocked at the writing, actually. I admire her generally and would have expected her first novel to be top stuff, but it's all 'his rippling muscles' and 'her long perfect legs.' I can see the erudition in the research but the writing is much more Da Vinci code than I would have expected. I'm trying to decide whether to give up.....
    by Sue H at 16:01 on 21 February 2006
    I've just bought The Conjuror's Bird, which looks good.
    by Colin-M at 16:06 on 21 February 2006
    I gave up halfway through. I haven't regretted it. I put it on hold to read something else, then something else, and now I'm onto novel four or five with a few more waiting in the wings. I don't think I'll be finishing Labyrynth.

On the back cover (or maybe inside) it was described as Chick-lit with A'levels.

Obviously not A'levels in English!

Colin (bitter and twisted) M
    by Account Closed at 17:39 on 21 February 2006
    I've nearly finished Runes of the Earth by Stephen Donaldson. It's been a marvellous return to the Land after so long (about fifteen years since I finished White Gold Wielder) and I really admire the clarity and depth of Donaldson's continuing vision.

I also like the way he's kept Covenant firmly in the background for this outing - apprently it's going to be a four book series this time, so I think Runes is just Donaldson refreshing his world. He does tend to overwrite sometimes and stick in unecessarily complex words here and there (most notably exigencies), but you don't mind because the adventure is so good.

After that, I'm going to read Kostova's The Historian which a WW member recommended I read. Waterstone's have it at half price this week if anyone's interested, and it looks a fascinating read.

JB