Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 59 message thread spans 4 pages: 1  2   3   4  > >  
  • Read A New Author Month
    by rogernmorris at 10:12 on 09 January 2006
    Don't know if this is the right place to post this but I've had this idea. Okay, the starting point was to get some interest in my own book, but I think it could grow into something bigger. Basically, my idea is a month devoted to reading a book of fiction (short story collection, or novel) by a first time author.

I'm hoping to approach publishers to get their interest and support and I've already had a really valuable offer of help from someone who can create a website for me. The website will form the focal point of the event. One of the main parts of it would be a bulletin board where people can recommend books or comment (freely!) on books they've read. I thought I might try to approach established authors to get them involved - there could be a little questionnare about their own first book - how hard/easy it was to break into print, what they think about that book now, etc.. I might even approach some celebrities!

Anyhow, apart from the support of publishers, the success of RANAM will depend largely on the interest of readers. It would be great if people who have literary blogs would get behind it too. If anyone would be interested in committing to reading and commenting on a book by a first time author during a given month (I'm proposing April) I'd love to hear from you.

You can find out a bit more on http://www.ranam.org - it's just a holding page but it does give some info. Plus there's more about it on my blog - http://rogersplog.blogspot.com

It would be great if it could take off and become an established part of the literary calendar.

<Added>

Actually - this link takes you to the bit in my blog that talks specifically about ranam - http://rogersplog.blogspot.com/2005/12/if-i-can-be-serious-for-moment.html

sorry.
  • Re: Read A New Author Month
    by anisoara at 12:49 on 09 January 2006
    Roger --

This is such a good idea.

I think it would be good to open up the site for participation before RANAM itself so that we can get involved - acquainting ourselves with new author possibilities and having interesting discussions whcih surely would interest the powers that be in the publishing world.

Again, I think this is such a good diea!

Ani
    by rogernmorris at 13:12 on 09 January 2006
    Thanks Ani, glad you think it has merit. I agree about the website. I think it's a good idea to get it up as soon as possible, but there is a bit of work to be done first. I have to approach the publishers, for one thing. I've talked to (well emailed) my own publisher, and he is supportive. He's trying to get the Macmillan marketing department interested. If I can talk to them about it, I can get some feel of how likely it is other publishers will get behind it. (I, would they put any money into it. I don't see why not. It would be a good way of making the generally minuscule marketing spend available to new authors go a lot further.) I've got a couple of other people lined up who I can talk to.

I don't see why publishers shouldn't at least provide information about books to go into the website. It will effectively be a shopwindow for them.

I'd also like to run a league table of publishers to see who has published the most first time authors in the 12 months up to the end of any given RANAM.

Ah well, these are my pipe dreams. Glad you don't think I'm completely mad.
    by Dee at 17:50 on 09 January 2006
    Great idea, Roger. I’d be very interested in it. Off to read your blog now.

Dee
    by EmmaD at 17:53 on 09 January 2006
    Good idea, Roger. I hope the book trade is interested.

Emma
    by Account Closed at 18:05 on 09 January 2006
    Sounds like an excellent idea indeed! Count me in!

)

A
    xxx
    by rogernmorris at 22:11 on 09 January 2006
    Thanks Dee, Emma and Anne. I'll let you know more when there's more to know!
    by Shika at 14:23 on 18 January 2006
    Hi Roger

Have you thought of contacting the Arts Council? I think you might have some support there. You might also be able to get a grant to support the website. I think these sorts of inititatives do well if they can show a certain willingness to work in partnership with others. Hope this helps. S
    by Skippoo at 14:30 on 18 January 2006
    I agree - great idea!

Cath
    by Account Closed at 14:37 on 18 January 2006
    I tried to wring a grant out of the Arts Council. They told me I didn't qualify as I am over 30.

Naturally I shot everyone in the office through the heart and left in a fit of justified pique.

JB
    by rogernmorris at 15:22 on 18 January 2006
    I hadn't thought of that, Shika. You may be on to something there. I shall try them out. and thanks, Skippoo for your support.

Waxy, I never ever use that LOL formula, but I have to say, you did actually make me laugh out loud. Lucky I didn't have a mouthful of tea, or anything else for that matter.
    by EmmaD at 15:45 on 18 January 2006
    They told me I didn't qualify as I am over 30.

As a Londoner of over 40, I'm amazed how many prizes I'm not eligible for.

Emma
    by anisoara at 19:59 on 18 January 2006
    Two months and 14 days until the start of RANAM!

Hey, what do you say we start to bandy some authors and titles about.

These are authors whose first book-length work is being published/has been published recently, can be a novel or collection of short stories, whatever -- am I right on this Roger?

Of course, top of the list is Roger with Taking Comfort.

And other WWs have work out this year, but not until after RANAM 2006....

Dee's The Winter House is scheduled for release at the end of July.

Emma's book The Mathematics of Love is out in July.

And has anyone seen Joe Young lately? His book High John the Conqueror is being released by Jonathan Cape, but not until summer....I think.

So what other books can we put on the reading list for RANAM 2005?

Ani
    by rogernmorris at 20:12 on 18 January 2006
    Hey Ani, thanks for getting the ball rolling!

I've been thinking about the date for RANAM, which I originally floated as April. But I've still got a lot to do before I'm anywhere near ready, so I was thinking of shifting the month back to give me more time to contact publishers and get the website up and running. I was thinking about summer - maybe July or August. Happily, that would allow both Emma and Dee's books to be included!

I've had a fantastic offer of help from Debra Broughton, who some of you might know from elsewhere (I don't think she's a ww member, but I may be proven wrong). She's going to work on the website. A lot depends on how long she needs to do that and how successful I am at getting support from the publishers.

But Ani, I really do appreciate your enthusiasm - that's wonderful. I would only add, are there any first time novelists/short story writers that anyone has read already (ie that are already out) that could be included?

Thanks again,

Roger.
    by EmmaD at 20:26 on 18 January 2006
    Roger, you're amazing - website and everything already. I'm sure you're right to push it a bit further ahead, and that's not just because then you can get theMofL and TWH in. As well as needing to get the publishers on board, these things need to build up a head of steam. July might be better than August, when things are so dead. When's yours due? The only new writer I can think who I've read recently is Susannah Clarke, and I'm not sure she needs the help as much as some of us.

(FWIW, I've just heard that the official date for The M of L is 3rd July although as my editor said, that's only as definite as a publication date ever is.)

Emma
  • This 59 message thread spans 4 pages: 1  2   3   4  > >