Login   Sign Up 

This 59 message thread spans 4 pages:  < <   1  2  3   4  > >  
  • Re: Read A New Author Month
    by rogernmorris at 21:07 on 18 January 2006
    Not so amazing, really, Emma, because the website isn't ready, though I have registered the domain name. I think shifting the month back somewhat makes sense for a number of reasons. I think it may take the publishers a while to get their heads round this one. And, as you say, there needs to be time for the thing to build.

A friend of mine has designed me a rather nifty logo, which I am hoping to preview on my blog very soon. He just wants to twiddle with the type a bit more. He's an art director. That's what they do.

Just thinking aloud, it might be neat to tie the timing in with one of the literary festivals; getting some presence in an event like that might help to raise profile.
    by Account Closed at 21:13 on 18 January 2006
    Roger - further book thoughts:

From Goldenford Publishers (http://www.goldenford.co.uk), we've had 2 first-time authors published by us late last year (October 2005):

Irene Black's "The Moon's Complexion" (romantic thriller set in India)

Jacquelynn Luben's "A Bottle of Plonk" (comedy of interlinked short stories focusing on the journey made by a rather special bottle of wine)

Would either of these count?

My own novel, "Pink Champagne and Apple Juice" (comedy set in a North London transvestite wine bar), will be published during this summer, but I'm afraid it won't count, as it's my second novel, as I self-published my first, "The Hit List", in 2004!

However, our next first-time author will be Jennifer Margrave in autumn/winter 2006 with her historical novel focusing on the Gawain poet - that might come within your remit? ...

LoL

A
    xxx

<Added>

Hmm, my links don't work - try: http://www.goldenford.co.uk

- possibly?!!

==:O
    by Shika at 21:13 on 18 January 2006
    JB

You may qualify if you re-apply telling them why the general public would benefit from you getting a grant. I don't think your age would matter. The best reason is that you are going to be published. If you could get your publisher or agent to write some sort of supporting document you could be in with a chance. Mind you, the sums are not huge but they are good for marketing purposes. I know of an author who was writing about the pyramids who was able to go and visit Egypt on an Arts Council grant.S
    by EmmaD at 21:14 on 18 January 2006
    Yes, a festivals would be a good idea. Presumably they're putting their programmes together about now. What it is to have art directors up your sleeve!

Emma

<Added>

up your sleeve metaphorically speaking, of course.
    by Shika at 21:21 on 18 January 2006
    Roger

Why don't you check out the booktrust website for new authors? (www.booktrust.org.uk) I think (I should know) the John Llewellyn Rhys prize short-list was made up of new writers. Also check out the Orange New Writers prize - Emma I think you would be eligible for this one and the Betty Trask one, no?

Roger I think you would do well to try Maia, Snow books and Serpent's Tail as they are quite innovative publishing houses with lots of new writers and they might bite. S
    by EmmaD at 21:30 on 18 January 2006
    Shika, thanks for the thought, but I'm too old for the Betty Trask! Not sure about the Orange. I'm not sure what my publishers have in mind, but my editor's a John Llewelyn Rhys winner herself, so she knows the score and I'm leaving it to them for now, though I shall enquire at some point...

Seriously, I don't understand why so many prizes have an upper age limit. There are one or two for older-only, but very few. All beginning writers need help, but why do younger writers need more? If anything, they have fewer other commitments to hamper them and more time ahead of them to build up a career.

Emma

<Added>

Roger, have you thought of getting in touch with the people at Leaf Books? Most of their authors are new as paint, and as the idea is to change all ten of their little books once a month, there seems a certain similarity of approach there.

http://www.leafbooks.co.uk/

There's a very comprehensive list of independent publishers from minute to large, aimed at librarians but very useful and with lots of info and contact details:

http://www.branching-out.net/independent/default.asp

One other thought is that the libraries themselves might be interested, at least to the point of distributing leaflets
    by rogernmorris at 08:35 on 19 January 2006
    Wow! thanks Anne, Shika and Emma. Lots of great stuff here. I will follow through on all of these. Anne, I'd love goldenford books to be included. I'm soon going to be in the position to start contacting people more systematically. Still need to make a decision on the month though. My webmeister tells me she can have a site built in a couple of days!!! Yikes. Need to sort out some content pretty quick.

<Added>

Thanks for the links Anne and Emma - I really appreciate it.
    by rogernmorris at 15:02 on 19 January 2006
    I've put the new logo on my blog, http://rogersplog.blogspot.com, if anyone's interested. Just needs a little tweaking, but it's more or less there, I think. I'm really pleased with it.
    by EmmaD at 15:20 on 19 January 2006
    Looks good.

Emma
    by Account Closed at 15:37 on 19 January 2006
    Ooh yes, that looks great, Roger!

)

A
    xxx
    by optimist at 12:14 on 26 January 2006
    Hi Roger,

I'm currently involved in promoting "Liquorice Ice Cream and other Just Desserts" which is a collection of short stories.

It is a selection of students' writing from the Centre for Lifelong Learning courses at the University of Hull - edited by my former tutor, Nora Jones. Yes, I do have a story in there.

It has the University of Hull imprint on the back - they printed it though they didn't pay for publication.

The Beverley Festival Readers Group is reading it in March - nothing to do with two of the members being authors, of course!

Anyway - are we eligible to be considered for RANAM?

The books on Amazon - I'll find the link later.

Sarah
    by rogernmorris at 13:05 on 05 February 2006
    Hi Sarah - sorry I missed this. But yes, I reckon the book would be eligible for ranam. Don't see why not.

Roger.
    by anisoara at 13:12 on 05 February 2006
    Hey Roger - the release date ofr Taking Comfort is drawing near.

And I couldn't help but notice how your book has clibed up the Amazon ratings. And your book is still pre-release. Well done - yay!!!
    by optimist at 13:12 on 05 February 2006
    Thanks, Roger!

Tell me more about it?

Sarah
    by Dee at 14:35 on 05 February 2006
    Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

maybe July or August. Happily, that would allow both Emma and Dee's books to be included!

How did I miss this? Wow, how exciting!

I don’t have a definite date for TWH yet but, hopefully, it will be round about the end of July, in time for Caerleon which is 23rd -28th. The organisers are very supportive of new writers, and very flexible. They might be open finding space to feature RANAM.

Why not try to get it into as many festivals as possible?

Dee
  • This 59 message thread spans 4 pages:  < <   1  2  3   4  > >