Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• William Maxwell, Peter Taylor
    by Cholero at 09:36 on 18 January 2006
    Anybody familiar with the works of William Maxwell or Peter Taylor?
  • Re: William Maxwell, Peter Taylor
    by Jekyll&Hyde at 13:27 on 18 January 2006
    Pete, the coffee dude and the snooker dude?

Ste

<Added>

Oh I know, the two varmints you hired to steal my H-O-R-S-E!
    by Myrtle at 15:56 on 18 January 2006
    Only 'Time Will Darken It' by William Maxwell. A great book.

Myrtle
    by Myrtle at 12:02 on 19 January 2006
    Peter, is that it?! I thought you were going to tell us something illuminating about them...! Or were you just looking for recommendations?

Myrtle
    by Cholero at 14:05 on 19 January 2006
    Hi Myrtle

Sorry, good question. I think I was looking for an exchange of impressions! I'm a fan, especially of Maxwell. If you like your short stories slow and thoughtful and if like a certain kind of classic, muscular, understated american prose style, and an insight into American bourgeious life in the first half of the last century, then that's where he's at. Peter Taylor has similar qualities but very much set in the south.

Pete
    by Myrtle at 14:53 on 19 January 2006
    Pete,

I haven't read Maxwell's short stories but will get my hands on some - thanks for reminding me of how much I loved the one novel of his I've read...and please read it yourself because if it's the classic slow-burn style you like in his writing, you won't be disappointed. Understated, oh yes. A few chapters in I said (to someone who wasn't the least bit interested) 'Now THIS is a writer.' It was quite a revelation.

Myrtle
    by Cholero at 16:19 on 19 January 2006
    Hi Myrtle

If the novel you mean is 'So Long See You Tomorrow' then I'm with you. That book is in my top three! And that sentiment as you read of
    now here is a writer
    I have exactly the same reaction to that book. And that warm buzz you get when you know you are in the hands of a master. Brings sort of quiet smile to face as you read...

Brilliant.

Pete

<Added>

here=this !!
    by Myrtle at 17:02 on 19 January 2006
    The one I've read is 'Time Will Darken It' but I'll try that one...or rather, I'll add it to my stupidly large pile of must-read books and glance guiltily at it for about a year until finally I open it.
    by Cholero at 17:12 on 19 January 2006
    Myrtle

I haven't seen that title, but I'm going to look for it now...

Pete

<Added>

Another novel of his is 'They Came Like Swallows', also a beauty.