Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Anyone ever read Anne McCaffrey?
    by Jekyll&Hyde at 21:18 on 28 February 2006
    Anyone ever read Anne McCaffrey?

A bus driver brandished a hardback copy of a McCaffrey book at me today. Once I'd gotten over the initial shock of a polite stranger in Nottingham, she convinced me it's the best thing since slice bread.

Has anyone else read her? Fantasy-stuff, I think, with a big penchant for dragons. I'm tempted to seek her writing out.

S.M.
  • Re: Anyone ever read Anne McCaffrey?
    by JoPo at 22:36 on 07 March 2006
    Heard the name, and heard she's good, but never read her. Think I'll take a look in my local public library.

Jim
    by EmmaD at 06:21 on 08 March 2006
    My sister's a fantasy reader with a penchant for dragons, and loves her - easy genre read but better written with a bit more to it than the average. I'm missing the fantasy sci-fi gene myself and didn't get on with the couple of pages I tried.

Emma
    by nr at 08:21 on 09 March 2006
    She writes for kids I think. Some of the bright 11 and 12 year olds I know love her stuff, and there's plenty of it.

Naomi
    by SarahT at 21:36 on 10 March 2006
    I read 'The Ship who Sang' a long time ago. This was about a space ship that was centred around a kind of brain thing, and was very evocative of the 'emotions' that the ship goes through and how she 'felt' as she went through life and a succession of pilots. I must say, I recall the concept more than much of the stories themselves, but I am generally not a sci/fi fantasy reader so this must have gripped me at the time.

S
    by Hilary L at 12:35 on 27 March 2006
    Showing my age here. She was a huge bestseller in the 60s and 70s. I believe she invented the dragon rider genre in the same way Georgette Heyer invented the Regency. While I'm sure children read them, they really are meant for adults as there is sex and violence. In fact dragon riders have sex at the same time their dragons do and therefore have mind-blowing experiences. I've always found this just slightly icky!
    by anisoara at 16:16 on 27 March 2006
    One of my daughter's favourite authors.