Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 41 message thread spans 3 pages: 1  2   3  > >  
  • Cloud Atlas
    by Account Closed at 13:36 on 05 May 2006
    I had to give this a mention here as I have just finished it, and I think it is one of the best contemporary books I have ever read.

At first, I felt a bit 'what's going on here?' but if you stick with it, the rewards are inumerable. I was impressed by the scope of Mitchell's vision, but also how he manages to make his 'time zones' so believable, so that when it moves forward to the future, the transition is seamless. My favourite bit though was the louche Robert Forbisher in that Belgian manse, and the story of the Sonmi, both of which made me cry.

The plot is chock full of clever and original tricks and great characters, and I found the basic theme and troubling denoument tear-jerking inspirational, and a terrific message for humanity. A big 10/10 for me. Loved it.

Read it. Now.

JB
  • Re: Cloud Atlas
    by Dee at 19:03 on 05 May 2006
    Damned right, JB. It’s a wonderful tale. I love the circularity of it, and that thinnest of fragile threads that runs through the entire novel. Brilliant writing.

Dee
    by Account Closed at 20:32 on 05 May 2006
    Oo-er - sorry, but I hated it!

But then again, I've never liked Mitchell's writing.

A
    xxx
    by Account Closed at 09:40 on 06 May 2006
    It's fascinating how people can have such differing views. What specifically turned you off Holly, just out of interest? (Don't worry, I'm not going to tell you you're wrong).

JB
    by Account Closed at 10:15 on 06 May 2006
    I'm wrong, JB!! I'm always wrong!! Don't worry - I know this, as I rarely like novels that everyone else does and which win awards etc! The same is true of the theatre I see, mostly ... for instance, I absolutely hated the award-winning RSC version of Lear 13 years ago, when it won everything in sight, so it just goes to show I have very peculiar views!

But back to your question, I just found myself deeply bored by Cloud Atlas, and I didn't like any of the characters. Neither did I "get" it or even think it was saying anything worth saying in terms of technique. By the middle, I was skipping desperately and wondering when oh when it would be over. Actually, I felt the same about "The Line of Beauty" and I'd been soooo looking forward to that one ...

But fear not - all is not lost in the World of Holly, thank goodness! I have just finished Hilary Mantel's "Beyond Black" and was utterly seduced, ravished and deeply satisfied by it. Beyond measure. Everyone should read it! And I love anything Murakami writes - probably even his shopping list, should he choose to publish it - so don't shoot me yet!...

)

A
    xxx
    by Colin-M at 10:57 on 06 May 2006
    I found it hard going, despite the first piece being clear and well written. But so many people think it's brilliant that I'll have to give it another go at some point.
    by Elbowsnitch at 11:25 on 06 May 2006
    Anne, I do agree with you about Beyond Black - it's wonderful! Cloud Atlas has been gathering dust on my shelf for ages - this thread may persuade me to give it another go.

Frances
    by SamMorris at 11:28 on 06 May 2006
    I loved it. The eclectic mix of styles was breath taking. It's a few months since I read it now, but I've just flicked through once more and am amazed again at how all those same stories, that I still remember so well, are in the same book. I'm with JB, I'd definitely recommend it!

Sam
    by Account Closed at 16:46 on 06 May 2006
    See, I abandoned Beyond Black halfway through. I just found it drab and unpalatable, but can see it was well written and my housemate loved it.

I think Cloud Atlas is a book you need to stick with at first, and some will 'get it', some not. I think that's a shame, because to my mind, a more insightful, far reaching and resonant view on the human condition and our possible destiny as a race will be hard to find among other contemporary efforts.

JB
    by Account Closed at 17:01 on 06 May 2006
    And I thought exactly the same about "BB", JB!!

)

A
    xxx
    by Katerina at 17:06 on 06 May 2006
    I didn't get Cloud Atlas either, and found it hard going. I couldn't be bothered to finish the book after ploughing about half way through it.

I think it's great that other people understood and enjoyed it though, isn't that just the beauty of books - that ever person who reads a book, will interpret and visualise it differently.

Kat

<Added>

Oops - every
    by geoffmorris at 18:40 on 06 May 2006
    For me Cloud Atlas was a masterpiece, but still fell short of Ghostwritten.

Mitchell is an amazing writer but has penned some complete shite i.e. the goatwriter section of number9dream.

Geoff

by optimist at 20:57 on 06 May 2006
    I was due to read Cloud Atlas for my reading group - borrowed it, read some of it in the queue at the baker's to general outrage and promptly lost it - then when I found it the library wanted it back. Looks like I'd better try again?

Does anyone else have this problem that when told to read to order they just can't? Readers block?

(I know Stephen King says it's OK to read in supermarket queues but he's obviously never tried it in Hull - it really doesn't make you popular!)

sarah
    by Shika at 21:03 on 06 May 2006
    I loved Cloud Atlas. In my view, it is a tour de force. S
    by anisoara at 08:44 on 07 May 2006
    I also found Cloud Atlas utterly amazing. My kind of book!
  • This 41 message thread spans 3 pages: 1  2   3  > >