Login   Sign Up 

This 41 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1   2  3 > >  
  • Re: Cloud Atlas
    by Colin-M at 09:55 on 15 May 2006
    Skip to Frobisher, Colin!

And suddenly the text bursts into life! Mind you, once I got used to the language in the first part, the story did flow and did pull me in - and then stops!!! grrrr. Unfortunately I read a review on Amazon that was more of a friggin' synopsis, so I don't know whether the book holds many surprises, but the contrast of styles is certainly interesting.

JB, I decided to give it another go because when I hear someone really rave about a book, then I want to know why. In most cases, I've been happy the book was recommended. Unfortunately, the time wasted on Lord of the Rings is time I'll never get back

Colin

<Added>

I've just realised that I still haven't watched the third part of Peter Jackson's film of LOTR - even though I bought it on a whim about two months back.

<Added>

"A whim"??? I don't think I've ever used that word before! If this is what comes from reading literary fiction I'll be talking like Brian Sewell before the weeks out.
    by Elbowsnitch at 11:39 on 15 May 2006
    And suddenly the text bursts into life! Mind you, once I got used to the language in the first part, the story did flow and did pull me in - and then stops!!! grrrr.

If I may advise again... Now skip to the back of the book and read part 2 of Frobisher! Then proceed to read parts 1 and 2 (in that order) of Luisa Rey.

Frances
    by Colin-M at 11:44 on 15 May 2006
    Reminds me of those books by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone - the Fighting Fantasy books. Ooohh, nostalgia!
    by Account Closed at 18:31 on 15 May 2006
    I disagree. For me the full beauty and cleverness of it worked in the split form, but I accept I'm a freak.

JB
    by anisoara at 19:56 on 15 May 2006
    I'm with you Wax. Read it as Mitchell intended.

And my very favourite part is Sloosha's Crossin', which so mnay readers complain about in the Amazon reviews. (And it doesn't break off in the middle, either!)

God just reading this thread makes me want to pick it up and read it again. Which I will do. I'm not giving myopy away or selling it on, etc - it's a keeper!
    by Colin-M at 07:46 on 16 May 2006
    I'm generally a pretty slow reader - keep finding other things to do - but I want to get through it as intended. I'm trying to tear through it so I don't lose the threads of the earlier stories.

Onto the third story...

by Account Closed at 18:05 on 16 May 2006
    Funnily enough, if it absorbs you enough, that doesn't happen. I flicked back a couple of times, admittedly, but most of the stories were ingrained in my brain. It's a true testament to a terrific writer if they can keep you hanging over so many cliffs for so long and not really mind.

Ani - I loved Sloosha's as well, but preferred the Somni. My favourite part, which resonated the most with me, was way and above Robert Forbisher.

JB
    by Colin-M at 15:22 on 20 May 2006
    Just finished the first Somni (told you I was a slow reader). I found that story the hardest of the lot and really had to force my way through it. I find strange names and unusual words really slow me down - probably the reason I don't read a lot of fantasy. The language is clever, but after a few pages it got incredibly annoying. I can't sling the damn thing away though, because I need to know how they're all going to end.

Colin M
    by Account Closed at 17:05 on 05 June 2006
    My housemate was struggling with it too, making me feel like a complete ass for recommending it to so many people. Lol. I'm a literary terrorist, or some other overblown nonsense, but I did genuinely enjoy it. Overall though, the Robert Frobisher 'novella' was far and away the story that made the novel for me. The rest is a little derivative, but still very well written and I appreciate the original format.

JB
    by Colin-M at 17:09 on 05 June 2006
    I think I must be a plain english fan. I really wanted to read that middle story but I just couldn't stand the language barrier. If I'd got through that I would have read the rest, but if it's too painful to read, why bother?
    by Account Closed at 17:22 on 05 June 2006
    Well, different strokes and all that.

JB
  • This 41 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1   2  3 > >