Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
    by smudger at 15:23 on 05 May 2006
    I've just finished Gilead and feel the need to rave. It takes the form of an extended letter from an ageing American preacher to his young son. The preacher is dying from a heart condition and tries to express the essentials which he thinks his son should know about the recent history of Iowa, his family and his religion. Please don't be deterred by my inadequate précis or the apparently dry subject matter. This book is written in a simple style that masks great learning and the wisdom of a lifetime. There is something delicious, profound and quotable at every page turn.

I was tempted to burn my own work after reading this, but how do you burn an MS Word file?

Tony
  • Re: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
    by smudger at 10:42 on 09 May 2006
    Someone must have read it! Did you love it...hate it?
    by CarolineSG at 18:57 on 09 May 2006
    Haven't read it, Tony, just felt sorry for your plaintive little request!
    She's not Mrs Rushdie, is she? No, completely wrong person. On the topic of books about Iowa, I loved Jane Smiley's Thousand Acres.
    I definitely know that burning your own work feeling...
    by smudger at 13:40 on 10 May 2006
    Thanks, Caroline. I'll look out for that one.
    by Account Closed at 19:40 on 13 May 2006
    Hi Smudger

I read her first book Housekeeping and thought it was... oh what's the word?... romantic? enchanting?.. watery is the closest i can get at the mo... had a 'through a glass darkly' kinda feel to it..

have been meaning to get hold of gilead in paperback.. someone told me it was the kind of book you admire rather than love.. but im sure ill give it a go soon and will let you know...
    by smudger at 15:46 on 17 May 2006
    Now I have to go and read Housekeeping. Bugger! One day that wobbly pile of books is going to fall on someone...