Login   Sign Up 

• Jacqueline Wilson is a Hero
    by EmmaD at 11:34 on 15 June 2006
    She was talking about doing signings: about how she felt she must say something individual to each child - even if just about what they're wearing - and move them on without them feeling hurt, because she still has an eye on the tail of the queue, not wanting to keep them waiting longer than absolutely necessary.

'The first hour is fine' she said, 'then you start to flag.' Apparently one day at a festival she signed for eight hours without even going to the loo.

I'm in awe of such kindness and professionalism.

Emma
  • Re: Jacqueline Wilson is a Hero
    by smudger at 15:44 on 15 June 2006
    ...and bladder control.
    by EmmaD at 17:04 on 15 June 2006
    Indeed! Interestingly, she says she normally has a very weak bladder, but it's never a problem at signings - not sure whether adrenalin or dehydration is responsible.

Emma
    by Account Closed at 16:43 on 17 June 2006
    I didn't realize until recently that Jackie magazine ( popular when i was younger) was named after her.

Sammy
    by EmmaD at 17:31 on 17 June 2006
    So they say. Have you seen the Jackie compilation they published a few months ago? Oh, the nostalgia... And my 12yr old daughter was fascinated, and wholly able to pick out the things that were the same as the kind of mags she likes, (friends, boy bands, clothes) and the things that were different (far fewer staying at school after 16, much less full-on sex).

Emma
    by Account Closed at 11:38 on 18 June 2006
    Has your daughter had a look at that new weekly newspaper for children, every Friday, launched by Piers Morgan i think. It's called 'First' and it's a great idea, my 8yr old loves it. Since starting year 3 she has often picked up the Daily Mail (I'm not even going to attempt to justify why i read that!) which has led to some interesting debate on drugs etc with her.
    'First' is much more fun, articles on animals, sport, x factor etc, current affairs, quizzes, problem page.

Just a little pricey though, at £1

Sammy

<Added>

Oops - it's called 'First News' ('for young minds').
    by EmmaD at 22:48 on 18 June 2006
    Sammy, that sounds fascinating. I must have a look. I've been wondering if for the sake of the children's education I ought to get a daily paper delivered (which would be a dreadful temptation and distraction to me) but maybe that's the answer.

Emma
    by Lammi at 20:16 on 19 June 2006
    I've read more or less everything Jacqueline Wilson's written, even though I'm in my 40s and don't even have the excuse of a daughter to buy them for. I love her style, and the way she uses pathos but without beating the reader about the head with it. Had her novels been around when I was a child, I'm sure I'd have felt consoled in my general freakishness.

Another really zingy author for teens is Louise Rennison. I sometimes cry with laughter when I'm reading her books.
    by Steerpike`s sister at 18:00 on 28 June 2006
    JW is great, both her writing and her attitude to her readers. Louise Rennison is hilarious. I usually find the girl diary type books really samey and boring, but hers are so genuine and surreal and original. Love her!