Login   Sign Up 

• Anyone read `Sleep With Me` by Joanna Briscoe?
    by CarolineSG at 17:42 on 27 June 2006
    I don't want to write a review, I just wanted to see if anyone else had come across this. Haven't finished it yet but I am absolutely blown away by the quality of her writing. Has really quite depressed me in a way because I feel I could never come close! Really excellent stuff and if I was writing a review, the word 'visceral' would definitely by there.
    Thoughts anyone?
  • Re: Anyone read `Sleep With Me` by Joanna Briscoe?
    by Shika at 20:18 on 27 June 2006
    I read it because I heard Alexandra Pringle (Bloomsbury) say that she could not put down the manuscript which she ultimately bought. I found it really gripping from the start although I found the dark bits overdone. I think the book worked best in the beginning when there was a suspicion of something going wrong. The unravelling was just (for me) a bit over the top. S
    by CarolineSG at 21:06 on 27 June 2006
    Shika
    You know, I completely agree with you there. I have literally read that bit since posting earlier and even though it was all hinted at, I feel a bit let down by the supposed revelation! Don't you find often, with very gripping books, that the ending doesn't deliver? I do - but I'm not sure if it is just pickiness!

I do think her portrayal of Richard is brilliant though - if I didn't know the sex of the author I would definitely have guessed it was a man. What do you think?
    by Anna Reynolds at 10:26 on 28 June 2006
    Interesting you two- I keep picking this book up and then putting it down without buying it, not sure why- something about the slightly overwrough hype I think- but might actually commit to buying it now! Do write us a review.
    by CarolineSG at 10:31 on 28 June 2006
    Anna
    I finished it last night and I really think it was a fabulous book overall. It has its flaws (what book doesn't, frankly?)but I would highly recommend it.
    I will write a review soon as I can.