Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 39 message thread spans 3 pages: 1  2   3  > >  
  • Books about writers.......
    by Anna Reynolds at 17:33 on 05 February 2004
    Is it just me, or does your heart sink when you look at the backpage blurb for a novel, or a movie, or anything in fact, and find that it's a story about a writer.... usually having problems writing, but also usually being rather successful? I tend to think it's probably because the writer themself has become to locked in the ivory tower of their art that they only mix with writers, and so that's all their concerns become about... a bit like Liz Hurley's belief that people who are not actors/A list celebs are 'civilians' who don't experience the world in the same way. Any thoughts?
  • Re: Books about writers.......
    by Account Closed at 17:47 on 05 February 2004
    Anna, the only book about a writer I've enjoyed was Misery. I can't say I'd be tempted at all to read fiction involving a story around a>a lone writer b>a lone pathologist 3>a lone lawyer, all three of which only know the truth. Cliche storylines and blurbs always put me off everytime. Oh and books that are 'fashionable' are horrendous.

Though Nick Earl's is good, don't mind reading him. But I'm sure if you wrote about a writer, it would be a thrilling read [do I get credit for this?]

Steven
    by James Anthony at 18:52 on 05 February 2004
    I have to agree. WRiter's as special always annoys me. Just a talent and worth as much as being a great plumber. I hope I have that talent, but its nothing extra special in my eyes.

But on the other hand, have you watched Adaptation? It is superb! Brilliant! Funny and clever. Watch it please, everyone. It really is a great film.
    by Anna Reynolds at 18:52 on 05 February 2004
    Hmmm... Okay, Misery might be a slightly less repellant example, but for me, the focus is still too narrow, too self-obssessed, too thoroughly incestuous. And it implies that the writer has lost interest in the world outside his/her own.
    by Friday at 19:11 on 05 February 2004
    Oh I so agree with this.

Also what annoys me are (women fiction titles) featuring protagonists who are magazine journalists or newspaper journalists.

Although, I did read somewhere, to write in ‘first person’, the storyteller needs to be a ‘writer’ or a criminal making a statement - otherwise why would they be writing the story?

I, of course disagree. (hee hee)

Dawn,
    by Ralph at 19:25 on 05 February 2004
    Ick yes,
    With the possible exceptions (alongside "Misery") of "Finding Forester" as a film, and "What a Carve Up" as a book; just because Jonathan Coe manages to make the writer in that such a self-concerned, miserable egocentrist that it works as a piece of irony.
    What a horrible thought though, for a writer to lose interest in the world outside. That's like a surgeon only caring about her/his own body isn't it?
    Does it perhaps come from that often damningly narrow instruction to "write what you know"...?
    Hmm, in my case that would be lots of stories about 4 walls and two cats then

And isn't that thing about 1st person narrative just a little too narrow as well? It would involve re-writing "Moby Dick" wouldn't it? ("Call me Ishmael - aka prisoner number 546732..."???)

Sigh. Ralph climbing down off her soap box now...
    by Account Closed at 19:37 on 05 February 2004
    Ok, I'm officialy bemused and confused, lost in cyberspace, whatever you want to call it. Incest and big white whales, what the hell is going on here?
    Freud would have a field day with this. And I thought my writing was 'odd' Please god, no autiobiographies, my heart couldn't stand it!

Steven
    [what was the question again?]

by Friday at 19:41 on 05 February 2004
    Thanks Ralph you made me laugh,

and Steven, WHAT????????
    by Account Closed at 19:45 on 05 February 2004
    Dawn,

Anna's talking about incest and Ralph's talking about Moby Dick, and I'm scratching my head, wondering what I'm reading. But it's ok, I should wake up soon

Steven
    by Ralph at 19:48 on 05 February 2004
    Steven

If it's any consolation I've got an image of Sigmund Freud doing the egg and spoon race now...
    by Account Closed at 19:51 on 05 February 2004
    Stop it, stop this madness, I can't take it any more! egg and spoon race, oh the horror!!! lol, I am now officially terrified of you all. Is nowhere safe!
    Steven
    by Friday at 19:56 on 05 February 2004
    why the egg and spoon race?

Ralph, I suggest you lie down on a couch, in a dark room.

Dawn
    by James Anthony at 20:02 on 05 February 2004
    The egg is obviously a symbol of his mother... dread to think about the spoon. Where is Freud when you need him...

MOBY DICK? SPERM WHALE?

Freud was right all along!
    by Ralph at 20:03 on 05 February 2004
    Sorry Dawn

Everytime somebody mentions field days I go back to traumatic occasions organising kindergarten sports events...

That lie down's probably a good idea. I think I'll avoid couches though if that's okay - too many images of psychoanalysists...

by Account Closed at 20:06 on 05 February 2004
    James Anthony,

Herman Mellville was gay, hence he wrote a very big book about a very big "white" whale. Do you think all that symbolism in there is for nothing. It's also one of the best books ever written, I love it.

Steven
  • This 39 message thread spans 3 pages: 1  2   3  > >