Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• The People`s Act of Love - James Meek
    by Account Closed at 14:14 on 05 October 2006
    Hi

I finished this on Monday, and must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. It wasn't only a fascinating insight into the rise of communism, seen from the viewpoint of a last Czchekoslovakia platoon left stranded in a small Siberian town, but also a powerful statement on humanity, love and war. The writing was superb, the characters vivid and human, and overall, this book left its mark on me. Good stuff, suitably grim and hopeful.

JB
  • Re: The People`s Act of Love - James Meek
    by CarolineSG at 15:08 on 05 October 2006
    JB, As you know, I thought this was a fantastic book. Really glad you enjoyed it right the way through. I thought the writing was amazing. Think I said this before, but the humanity that ran through all the terrible actions on the national, local and personal levels was stunning.
    Quite a different reaction to Paula Thingy, the one by Roddy Doyle - which I read after that! Worst sequel ever, in my humble opinion. But that's another thread!
    by Account Closed at 15:52 on 09 October 2006
    Oh, I'll make sure to avoid that one then. I found PAOL had a bit of a slow start, but once the details of Anna's marriage and what happened with Balashov comes to light, it really took off. The stuff about the White Garden and what went on there was also rather chilling. Well, it was in the Arctic Circle, but you catch my drift. Doh!

I'm just about to read Perfume. I've heard really good things about it.

JB
    by CarolineSG at 16:04 on 09 October 2006
    Yes, me too, although I've never read it.
    I've just finished The Lambs of London by Peter Ackroyd, which (for me) really let itself down with its ending.

Hope you enjoy Perfume.