Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Quick ellipsis question
    by Account Closed at 08:35 on 22 November 2006
    "I was wondering... Hoping... Maybe you would go out with me tonight?"

I know that the strict rule is to use a capital after an ellipsis, because, really the following words are a new sentence, but someone critted me recently and said in a sentence such as above don't.

I tend to agree, because some examples like above *feel* like one sentence.

I know i could avoid using the ellipsis, but i just wanted to know how strict a rule you thought this was. Should you ALWAYS use a capital after an ellipsis? DOES IT REALLY MATTER, as a rule of grammar??

Any opinions appreciated.

Casey
  • Re: Quick ellipsis question
    by EmmaD at 08:47 on 22 November 2006
    I think I'd say don't capitalise for this one. People don't talk in 'proper' sentences anyway, and whatever conjures up the pauses and shape of the thought best is what you need to do. For instance, I wouldn't give 'hoping' one, certainly. But if his/her voice really trails away after that, and then plucks up courage again and 'Maybe ' comes in a burst of new confidence or desperation, a capital could imply that.

Emma
    by Account Closed at 09:03 on 22 November 2006
    Good idea, thanks Emma.
    by Katerina at 09:08 on 22 November 2006
    Ooh, I never use capitals after an ellipsis, tut tut aren't I naughty not sticking to the 'rules'.

I suppose you could always write it like this instead

"I was wondering - hoping - maybe you would go out with me tonight?"

Katerina
    by Account Closed at 09:10 on 22 November 2006
    Yeh, or i could make really short sentences. I just wanted to know how strict this rule actually was, for when i do use an ellipsis.

You naughty girl, Katerina, write out 100 times 'full-stop after ellipsis...most of the time'

Casey
    by Katerina at 09:20 on 22 November 2006
    No, don't want to!

Erm, don't you mean - capitals after ellipsis, not full stops?

I don't like capital letters after ellipsis', it doesn't look right to me, because it isn't the start of a new sentence, but an interrupted or paused sentence.

I'm going to continue as I am, I'll soon be corrected when the time comes if I should be doing it with capitals.

Katerina
    by EmmaD at 09:35 on 22 November 2006
    I'll soon be corrected when the time comes if I should be doing it with capitals.

Good point, Katarina. You really don't need to agonise over this stuff - that's a copy-editor's job.

But it is worth agonising if - as there is in Casey's example - it means you've understood the issue to the extent of having two little tools, in the different effect of capital/lower case.

Which is yet another reason for not thinking of these things as rules: if you stick to rules, you deprive yourself of tools.

Emma
    by Account Closed at 09:55 on 22 November 2006
    I'd make a terrible teacher, wouldn't i Katerina - reminds me of when i snapped at one of my kids:
    "Don't eat with your mouth full!"

I should know by now that not all rules of grammar are set in stone. I was just hoping that this one might be as straightforward as 'always have a capital after a full-stop' - i challenge anyone to find an exception to that

Casey
    by EmmaD at 10:16 on 22 November 2006
    Maybe the world divides into two types of temperament: the people who hope there is a rule for something, and the people who hope there isn't...

Emma
    by Katerina at 12:56 on 22 November 2006
    I live by the adage - rules are made to be broken.

When I'm in a defiant mood, I'll walk on the grass if it says 'keep off', or touch something that says 'do not touch'.

I remember once walking around a showhouse, and there was this big button on a wall. It didn't have any signs saying dont touch or anything, and it wasn't a burglar alarm, so me being the curious - IOW, nosey, person that I am, pushed it.

This terrible noise then erupted everywhere and the sales advisor came running. It was the main panic alarm, and I'd set it off

Haha, it was great fun - tut tut, I am such a big kid at times!

Katerina x