Login   Sign Up 

• adapting from short story to stage
    by Anna Reynolds at 15:25 on 02 February 2003
    Just wondered if anyone out there writing plays has tried adapting from short story or book to stage? I`m thinking of going there and would be curious to hear from anyone who`s already had a go..
  • Re: adapting from short story to stage
    by Tybalt at 09:06 on 04 April 2003
    What I'm about to say applies to a children's play but I think the overall perceptions would apply to adult adaptations. The play was to a very large extent tailor-made for the 150 children who were fated to be involved. The story - the Nativity - had been beaten to death. But this made it all the more fun. There was nothing I could do to make it more predictable! My aim was to inject new zing into an overworn tale, create more life in the characters (a great invitation to create wonderful cameo roles), and to move away from our WASP-ish (or WAS Catholic)slant on the whole thing. I stayed true (more or less)to the spirit of the original but added a whole lot more. Herod was my forte - and brilliantly played by an absolute litte monster; the innkeeper's wife was based on Sybil Fawlty as a good Jewish mama...and so it went on. I'd love to do the same sort of thing again. The simpler the story to start with, the more scope for character, comedy and impact.
    by Anna Reynolds at 12:54 on 04 April 2003
    Thanks for that- interesting. It's a bit of a minefield.
    by Beverley Hills at 15:46 on 14 May 2003
    Hi Anna. Linda Seger has written a very good book called 'The Art of Adaptation, Turning Fact and Fiction into Film.' pub. Henry Holt & company available at Amazon. It's on my reading list for next term at the LCP when I'll be doing the very same thing. I had a quick glance last term and am sure you can glean quite a bit from it. I'm at college tomorrow so will have a look in the media library, it's massive!

best
    Beverley x
    by david bruce at 17:44 on 14 May 2003
    Here's the link to Amazon for Beverley's suggestion:

The Art of Adaptation, Turning Fact and Fiction into Film
    by Anna Reynolds at 21:49 on 14 May 2003
    Thanks Beverley! I'll check it out.