Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Re-drafting poems
    by fevvers at 13:17 on 02 June 2003
    I think it would be interesting if we could have a look at people's re-drafting process and see how a writer gets from a first or early draft of a poem to what is a finished poem (of course it might not be yet, poetry is an indecisive beast).

What do other people think? A copy of the early draft and the most recent one can be posted up in our writer's group and a discussion can follow explaining drafting process, particular decisions, how people move poems on etc?

Does this seem interesting to people? I know there is an element of that already for some people but it might be nice to see how the two drafts sit side-by-side and how sometimes massive changes can be made because of simple decisions.

If any of Poetry Group II are interested, please let me know and I'll get the ball rolling.

cheers
  • Re: Re-drafting poems
    by Jibunnessa at 14:58 on 02 June 2003
    I'm not from Poetry Group II, but assume I'm still welcome.

I don't tend to redraft. Most of my poems are written in one go. If they are edited, then that also usually happends around the same time. Also, occasionally, an unpremeditated better line or phrase may come to mind months later. But, I've never found myself writing a poem and then continuously reworking it.
    by olebut at 15:11 on 02 June 2003
    is this discrimination then cos like jib I am in 1 ( only joking)

I think it is a great idea however I am little like Jib

I get an idea play around with it in my head then write it out then i transfer it to the magic box and make more changes usually as I type it because I realsie the metre isnt right or I think of a better phrase or word.

but I am game
    by fevvers at 15:58 on 02 June 2003
    No descrimination intended.

I asked group II because the posting will take place in poetry group II so anything you would want to contribute (in terms of postings to look at, not feedback) will also take place in poetry group II so we can see development.

This means you might have to join our group to join in I'm not sure. Anyhow any criticism we give is firm but fair.

Cheers

by olebut at 16:00 on 02 June 2003
    i havent a problem with that you will recall I did offer to swop to even things up a bit on a previous forum last week
    by fevvers at 18:02 on 02 June 2003
    Anyone's welcome to join PGII! Can you only be in one or the other? I thought you could join any group you wanted to so long as there was space. I think it would be good to be in two poetry groups - but I'm not sure that's not greedy. Hmmmmm?