Login   Sign Up 

• Legal use of quotations
    by Newmark at 00:27 on 06 June 2003
    I'm approaching the end of my first novel. Just had a sudden panic attack, as each of my chapters is preceeded by a quotation from a different song.

As long as they're referenced, is this allowed? Or, if I were published, would each artist need to be contacted for their permission?

Any advice appreciated.

Ben
  • Re: Legal use of quotations
    by Anna Reynolds at 13:37 on 06 June 2003
    Think so. But I wouldn't worry about it at this stage- if you get published, the publisher will have a legal department that will deal with all that- or discuss it with you in advance.
    by Hilary Custance at 13:51 on 16 June 2003
    Yes, you do need to get permission for most quotations written within the last thirty years, though a certain amount of prose in context is allowed. Go to the Society of Authors at http://www.societyofauthors.org . (I think), they will give you the precise info. If you end up with a small publisher they will not have a legal department, but I understand that permissions are the author's responsibility anyway. I had to get to get hold of 8 for my one published novel. It was fiddly and took time, but because the print run was expected to be small, nobody charged me for using the extracts. Good Luck, Hilary
    by Hilary Custance at 13:56 on 16 June 2003
    On a further thought. I, too, had quotations at the head of each chapter of my manuscript when first submitted. I was persuaded, long before I was published, that this is not really appropriate, especially in a first novel. I ended up putting essential stuff into the text, but it hurts, especially if you have used it as a framework. Even more luck, Hilary