Login   Sign Up 

• Editing
    by Shadowgirl at 22:03 on 08 April 2003
    Hello!
    A comment by Jubbly on the second part of my novel "The Letter from England" has bought a question to my mind, which I would like to ask everyone. Is it possible to over-edit (is that indeed a correct phrase - apologies if not!)?
    She said that the second part of my novel seemed flow easier than the first.
    When I have been editing, aware of the need to capture the readers (and of course publishers and agents) immediately, I had edited and then re-edited the first part. The second part, which for me as a writer, also flowed easier, remained almost as it was initially.
    I wondered therefore if by my editing if I have got away from the initial emotional version I had wanted to create.
    I would be interested in everyone's opinions, as to whether you can do "too much tweaking." What do you think?
    Thanks everyone.
  • Re: Editing
    by Anna Reynolds at 12:02 on 09 April 2003
    Good point to raise. You definitely can edit too much-- you can feel it in your own work sometimes, particularly when you've worked with a team of people all giving you feedback-- try to take too m uch notice of all those other opinions and you can end up with a piece of work that feels like the originality and fresh voice has been pushed out. There's no easy answer unfortunately-- other than to find one or two opinions you really trust and rate and listen to them. In terms of the editing itself, it's usually a good idea to let your work 'sit' a while before you go back to edit-- give it a bit of breathing space and have some time away to reflect on what you've written, how you might change it, etc. I think this breathing space is vital. Sometimes the best ideas on how to edit come when you're not conciously working- just sitting on a bus or doing something completely banal and then, ping!

Any other thoughts on this?
    by Account Closed at 11:23 on 17 April 2003
    Editing is something of a sore point for me. I find that the best pieces of writing just flow and need little editing other than the odd thesaurus reference and some grammar correction.

Sometimes though, I find that parts just won't commit themselves to words in the way I'm imagining them, and I find myself changing and re-writing things time and again until it's passable.

I think this is more a reflection on me than anything though, as I've only been writing since the turn of the year, and have accumulated over 20,000 words towards my experimental first novel along with several shorter stories. The short stories are just inspiration, and are written in the space of about 30 minutes, it's when I write something longer that the trouble begins.

But again, I've had little feedback from my writing bar what the inhabitants of a gaming chat forum had to say about it all. Usually little more than a collection of "nicely done"s and "great stuff as usual" comments. One of the reasons I've decided to move on, I guess...

I think I've wandered from the point, so working back, it's definitely possible to over-edit, and I find that the less I edit, the better things are. You need to keep the natural style in the writing, otherwise pieces that you re-work several times could wind up being unrecognisable in terms of your own writing style.

Hope that makes sense...
    by Beverley Hills at 12:41 on 20 April 2003
    I think Anna is right, it's vital to give yourself some breathing space. Put the script/book away for six weeks, don't touch it, don't even move it, let it cook on it's own. You'll be surprised when you go back to it; the bits that need serious looking at jump out at you, and some of it may not seem like your voice at all. So often I've looked at a piece and thought six weeks later, 'wow did I really write that? Nice.' The other thing to do is to get someone else to edit it for you, takes a leap of faith but stops one being so hermetically sealed with one's work.
    Have a look at Stephen King brilliant book 'On Writing' he puts it all into perspective, whether you like his work or not!

Beverley x
    by Shadowgirl at 13:36 on 20 April 2003
    Thanks for the advice Beverley - I'll check out the book you mention also. You've been helpful - thanks!
  • Re: Editing / Insane Bartender
    by Shadowgirl at 13:40 on 20 April 2003
    You certainly make much sense to me - love your name by the way. I know in my own writing, the parts I love the best have flowed so easily and been relatively unedited. You make an excellent point about the natural style too - so thanks for that!
    by Account Closed at 12:07 on 22 April 2003
    Glad to be of service.

(service - bartender! get it? No, this is why I don't do comedy...)
    by Shadowgirl at 14:00 on 22 April 2003
    Never mind IB - best not to seem as funny as Rog anyway, he might get the 'ump (not a pretty sight!)