Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 21 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 
  • Re: How do you write?
    by KathM at 21:57 on 14 August 2008
    I used to do first drafts straight onto the computer but have recently started to do them longhand and it's proving to be a real freedom. Not only is it different psychologically - somehow much easier to start the pen moving than the fingers on the keyboard - but it also buys me freedom of location. I can go sit in my favourite cafe and write for two or three hours while being brought pots of tea and cake. Or I can take the dogs to the beach and write while they dig holes bit enough to sink a cow and I enjoy the added benefit of not being distracted by their guilt-inducing faces if the sun is shining and boring old me is keeping them indoors. Then when I come home I'm quite happy to spend a couple of hours typing up and editing as I go without going stir crazy.
    by GaiusCoffey at 14:13 on 28 August 2008
    Sorry, this is way out of synch, only saw the thread today when I was supposed to be elsewhere, doing else.

I'm intrigued as to how anyone can write for as little as 2 hours! I strongly suspect there is some kind of time-continuum disruption that occurs whenever I open my draft.

Entire days / nights disappear without my realising it. Although I discard a hugely vulgar fraction of everything I write because its godawful...

I refuse to pressure myself because the stuff I write under pressure usually stinks by the time I come back to it inspired.

Yup, it's awful but no matter how badly it reads, it's valuable.

The stinky stuff I write is usually a series of facts that read like a documentary (or worse). I use it to get my thoughts defined and test things out.

When I hit the right note, the creative animal will greedily devour this garbage by the page and spit out maybe a tenth of the amount of writing that actually matters.

G
    by elvinarai at 13:15 on 04 September 2008
    Hi, whenever i get some idea. I put it in simple words. Later I will develop it by adding some provebs, idioms and phrases, and some more atractive words. For me it is the easiest way to write a story.
    by jamjaf at 23:17 on 15 September 2008
    Hi I admire your perseverence keep at it. I spent over thirty years being a wannabe writer and only seriously had a stab at it a couple of times. Five weeks ago I started writing in long hand and am now up to 75,000 words. Now Im not saying its great writing but just having flow this way feels incredible. At first I was playing catchup using the library computer as I found my laptop keyboard difficult when speed typing. This led to me booking time at the library, one hour at a time then smile winningly to get additional hours and hope they are not booked up . But it gave me structure followed by habit. Now I have to write enough to type at least an hours worth at the library the next day, cos I don't like to phone and cancel. Sounds mad perhaps but it works for me.

But I echo what others have said, writing in longhand first free's you. I can write straight to computer but this way I have freedom to choose when I write, in the kitchen, waiting at the docters, in the library while waiting for my session or in bed where I can get some words down then after half an hour it sends me off to sleep. I might even be dreaming my next exciting chapter.
    Just one additional item, I write in small cheap spiral bound notepads. It gives me a sense of accomplishment as another one is added to the pile and means I can slip the current one into my bag easily.

Hope some of this is useful and keep writing.
    by susieangela at 00:00 on 16 September 2008
    Wow, Jamjaf, I find your story really inspiring. What a miracle that you've suddenly found your way to writing so much in such a short time. Seems like it's a matter of really finding your own rhythm and what works best for you. Thanks for sharing.
    Susiex
    by EmmaD at 11:08 on 16 September 2008
    Jamjaf, I do agree about the spiral bound books - you get through them quite fast (well I do) and see the pile grow. Something much more substantial about that that just a wordcount on the computer.

Emma
  • This 21 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2