Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 87 message thread spans 6 pages:  < <   1  2  3   4   5   6  > >  
  • Re: Literary v non-literary
    by Becca at 13:40 on 30 July 2003
    Oh Tweed, I'm so sorry about that, a genuinely asked question,- I hadn't known there was something sinister connected with the idea.
    by Nell at 14:14 on 30 July 2003
    That's three 'sorrys' on this forum so far.

Tweed, surely it only becomes fascism if it's enforced - all we're trying to do is to define something here, and after all language and words are what we as writers are supposed to deal in.

My Penguin dictionary says: 1. literary - relating to, constituting, or concerning literature.
    b.producing or connected with literature as a profession. 3. characteristic of the style or vocabulary of works of literature; [u]more formal or picturesque than ordinary writing or speech.[/u]

I've underlined the last definition, which seems about as clear as we're likely to get.

But wait! Let's see what the Oxford Dictionary says. literary: 1. of, relating to, concerned with, or characteristic of literature or scholarly writing. 2.versed in or knowledgeable about literature.

I could go on to look up 'scholarly' but maybe that would be going too far. Off now to do some more work before my eyes bleed.

<Added>

Well, I thought I'd underlined it...
    by Terry Edge at 17:55 on 30 July 2003
    I believe that in Britain, 'literary' is really just another form of class division. It tends to be applied to middle-class, university educated, writers who produce novels that are 'worthy'. Worthy meaning the depiction of characters that are like them, i.e. well-educated people who spend a lot of time thinking and talking about their relationships. Traditionally, literary writers go on and on about society types who spend forever talking about other society types, while remaining totally oblivious to the lives of the servants around them who provide them with the time and space to go on and on about their boring, but well turned out, lives.

I think the term 'literary' is actually meaningless. There is good story-telling and there is bad story-telling. The USA recognises this better than the UK literary establishment, which is why their novelists tend to be far more imaginative than ours (at least our 'literary' ones). Good story-telling, to me, is being able to take the reader on a thrilling journey, by conveying great characters and clear, vivid, scenes. In this respect, Phillip Pullman is a great writer, yet I don't think he's considered 'literary'.
    by olebut at 18:05 on 30 July 2003
    isnt this just a snob thing it surely doesn't matter provided people find a book worthy of reading.

The classification thing is surely a device to help publishers booksellers and the readers identify where titles with common themes are directed/ displayed and no more.More and more important with the huge increase of titiels available.

There are many books I am told I should read and find them as dull and as uninspiring as ditchwater others I find which are illuminating entertaning and educational. Virtually every novel these days is researched to ensure technical and historical accuracy , thus it is educational.

Is not this discussion as somebody has I think already pointed out similar to Good and bad work question.
    by Becca at 18:54 on 30 July 2003
    Thanks for your take on it Terry. Not sure that my American friend can quite have meant that when she spoke about it, - I don't think she knows anything about the class culture business here. Anyhow, I've asked her to tell me what she means, and wait for her reply. I'd tried to avoid asking her because she'd expect me to know, - which is why I asked here, and caused a bit of a reaction,(but I hope it's not going to be as bad as if I'd vomited into somebody's lap).
    by Nell at 19:43 on 30 July 2003
    Becca, I'm laughing now. Have you ever done that?
    by Nell at 19:46 on 30 July 2003
    Still laughing - I meant vomited in someone's lap of course.
    by Ellenna at 19:49 on 30 July 2003
    maybe it's time for us all to lighten up..if I could I would pass a few drinks round and say breathe in the air after the storm we have just had ( well have here anyway..)and the sun is shining now...

Ellie
    by Nell at 20:06 on 30 July 2003
    Ellie - I really was laughing, not being sarcastic to Becca - it's those damned pixels again, they seem to rearrange themselves in cyber-space.
    by Ellenna at 20:13 on 30 July 2003
    I didn't think that at all Nell..and actually I am laughing too.... but I still think a drink might be quite good lol
    Ellie
    by Nell at 20:17 on 30 July 2003
    Hope this is not too inappropiate, not sure why I thought of it.

Nobody heard him, the dead man,
    But still he lay moaning:
    I was much furthur out than you thought
    And not waving but drowning.

Poor chap, he always loved larking
    And now he's dead
    It must have been too cold for him his heart gave way,
    They said.

Oh, no, no, no, it was too cold always
    (Still the dead one lay moaning)
    I was much too far out all my life
    And not waving but drowning.

Stevie Smith.
    by Ellenna at 20:22 on 30 July 2003
    hmmm
    by Nell at 20:32 on 30 July 2003
    BTW - 'further' is what I meant to type.
    by tweed at 20:36 on 30 July 2003
    beats me...?
    by Nell at 21:05 on 30 July 2003
    A bit like me - not waving...
  • This 87 message thread spans 6 pages:  < <   1  2  3   4   5   6  > >