Login   Sign Up 

This 20 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • Flashbacks
    by Shadowgirl at 17:41 on 19 April 2003
    Could I ask those of you far more experienced than myself, your opinion of flashbacks in novels? I have used them in my book (plenty coming up in future sections) but I read that they were frowned upon by agents and publishers, as they believe they interupt the storylines.
    My characters however, go on to interact with each other, both as they are now, and also as who they once were in the past - and I found flashbacks a useful tool to show this.
    I would be interested in your opinions.
    Thanks!
  • Re: Flashbacks
    by Stephen N at 19:25 on 19 April 2003
    I'm probably no more experienced than you, but in my opinion flashbacks work incredibly well. they can give a character far more depth and also push a story line forward by giving insite to what happened earlier. The only reason I can think that agents and publishers may say that they interupt a story line, is if the story line isn't very strong in the first place. What I've read of yours so far, that is certainly not the case. Go for it I say. What do publishers know anyway? Absolutely sod all, as far as I can tell.
    by Beverley Hills at 12:32 on 20 April 2003
    Personally I hate flashbacks in any shape or form, I think it's lazy writing. But if you're talking about writing a novel and setting certain chapters in the past, and certain ones in the present/future then I think the juxtaposition of running two storylines together could work very well, as opposed to a character going off on one in a paragraph, that's a whole different thing.

Beverley
    by Shadowgirl at 13:33 on 20 April 2003
    Thanks for your reply Beverley - interesting to hear your views. Thing is though, I think my flashbacks are exactly the sort you would most dislike - my characters do "go off on one in a paragraph"....oops! Tell you what, I think I will have flashbacks coming up in part 4 of The Letter from England. When I post it, I would love for your honest views on how it works or not. It would help me a lot. Thanks!
    by Shadowgirl at 13:35 on 20 April 2003
    Thanks for the nice comments about my storyline Stephen, I appreciate that very much.
    I've got a bit of a reincarnation theme going on as a subplot (not apparent quite yet) so flashbacks were an important part of that for me. Anyway, when I post more, be sure and read and tell me what you think.
    Thanks again.
    by Jibunnessa at 15:27 on 20 April 2003
    I don't think that flashbacks are necessarily lazy writing any more than any other device. It's only lazy writing if the writer hasn't thought about why they want to use it in the story and instead used it unthinkingly as a convenience.

Sometimes they work very well.

I saw a short film once where 2 boys had bunked off school, got into a football stadium, got up onto one of those (can't remember exactly what it's called) roofs that give shading to the seating area, and then because they were larking about, one of them ended up nearly falling off, but was holding onto the edge dangling in the air. The rest of the film then consisted of a series of different flashbacks where he would remember the escapades that they'd gone through together intercut with his present unfortunate predicament. So, during the film, we were taken on a journey into the 2 boys' past and also the present where we got to see what effect the life-threatening situation was having emotionally.

It was a delightful film, funny in parts and rather engaging.

'Blind Fish', the short film that I've written (although requires lots of editing and also probably needs to be made into a longer format) uses flashbacks a lot. The reason has nothing to do with lazyness. On the contrary. My central character is someone who experiences mental health problems. Hyper-memory, hyper-recollection and frequent/constant bombardment of images in your mind is a fundamental characteristic of someone in that situation. So, I would argue that if I hadn't used flashbacks, I would really NOT be true to my character. I want us to journey with him. NOT with some external narrater.

It seems so common nowadays to hear people say that the use of flashbacks is lazy writing that it almost sounds like a mantra to me. i.e. too often said unthinkingly, because it's the prevailing thought of the moment. Dare I say, "lazy thinking"

So really, if it adds to the story then you should use it.
    by Beverley Hills at 16:05 on 20 April 2003
    I've read a hell of a lot of scripts over the years and have seen so many writers thinking that they've got away with 'lazy writing,' and you know what, they never do, it always shows, so yes there really is such a thing as lazy writing. Flashbacks can be put to very good use, some people rely on them too much though is all I'm saying. There has to be more than the flashback to hold the narrative together. Lets just say it's a matter of personal choice then, to keep it nice eh? It works for some and not for others and also depends on the nature of the beast/piece, having said that if you see any flashbacks in my work then you have my permission to shoot me, or at least to publicly remind me what a hypocrite I am!

;-)

Beverley
    by Jibunnessa at 16:16 on 20 April 2003
    Of course there's lazy writing. Some people are immensly sloppy with what they do. It's just that I hear so many people in so many different contexts saying the same old thing about flashbacks being lazy writing that I don't believe that they've all thought about it - statements are often just as contagious as yawning. All I'm saying is that if it doesn't work for the story and was used without thinking, then it's lazy. On the other hand, I hope that something isn't dismissed out of hand just because it's known beforehand that flashbacks have been used. That would be a shame. There is a place for it.

But, I do agree that it has often been overused.

by Shadowgirl at 16:36 on 20 April 2003
    Thanks Jib! I'm afraid if I took my flashbacks away, the heart of my novel, indeed the whole point would be lost. Certainly the characters would be more one dimensional and I would be left with a shallow little story. Like you, my work contains mental health problems/past images flashing through a characters mind, and the past has to be worked through, before a future can be made. It would be sad if a judgement was made beforehand about them by any future/agent or publisher. I don't think I am cut out for this writing lark sometimes, almost everything I want to do, seems to go against current trends/professional advice. Never mind eh?
    by roger at 17:17 on 20 April 2003
    Blimey, this is all a bit deep, isn't it? Loads of good books have flashbacks. Loads of bad books have flashbacks. What matters, I'd have thought, in my sad, simle little way, is 'did I enjoy the book? Did it help me laugh, cry, think, ponder,learn?' If so, it can have as many flashbacks as it likes, or none...whichever it prefers. I really do think we get too serious sometimes; if we don't watch it, we'll end up writing Booker winners; heaven forbid.
    by Beverley Hills at 17:19 on 20 April 2003
    Hear Hear!

B x
    by roger at 17:39 on 20 April 2003
    Good on you, Bev. You've just dropped onto my 'must propose to this person list'. I'd do it now, but I've not had firm responses from Shadowgirl an Jib yet...they're procrastinating. Silly girls, they'll miss their chance, so your time may well come.
    by Shadowgirl at 18:03 on 20 April 2003
    Rog - I may not have given you a firm answer yet, but I do a good flashback!!!
    SG xxx
    by roger at 18:20 on 20 April 2003
    Look, Shads, I've told you before - can't wait forever, and I'm not prepared to mess Bev & Jib around for too long, it wouldn't be fair.
    by Beverley Hills at 20:13 on 20 April 2003
    Ooh Roger, you've the soul of a poet!

B x
  • This 20 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >